Jungle Mix

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is this stuff any good as a substrate for T's? I know that several people recommend staying away from Bed-A-Beast. The Jungle Mix is the only thing any of the 2 pet places around here have. I'm getting a B. Smithi and an L. Parahybana, so they are both terrestrial.....will the the Smithi burrow? I know the L isn't supposed to be much of a burrower.

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I remember reading a chat where a few people were saying it was not good for T's.:?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I've heard people say it gets moldy, but I had it VERY humid for a 'pede enclosure, and it never grew mold... hmmmm...

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been using it for all my T's. I did add a little vermiculite to it. My stipeknee burrowed in it as soon as I got it. My rosea also stays mostly in her burrow (on egg sac). I can't see anything wrong with it and my T's like it.

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Al Muoio
I've been using it for all my T's. I did add a little vermiculite to it. My stipeknee burrowed in it as soon as I got it. My rosea also stays mostly in her burrow (on egg sac). I can't see anything wrong with it and my T's like it.
Originally posted by Mister Internet
I've heard people say it gets moldy, but I had it VERY humid for a 'pede enclosure, and it never grew mold... hmmmm...
Jungle Mix or Bed A Beast?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't think there's anything wrong with it (bedabeast). I personally only use it with dry terrestrials because it rots easily and can support maggots if kept moist. I've never used Jungle Mix personally so I'm not sure what it's got going for it or against it.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Though I'm far from an expert in this subject, I use both of these subrstrates currently..

My B. smithi is on the jungle mix, straight out of the bag, and while It does have somewhat of a greenish smell to it, it fades in a week or so, and she seems to love the stuff. as for bed-a-beast, I bought some and after watching it grow to 3x it's size in a pot of water filled to half what the instructions said, I broke it up and mixed it about 50/50 with my remaining jungle mix to make 7" deep substrate for my G. rosea. It's very moisture-holding, but I can see from the color difference in the side that eventually it dries and hardens into a crustish type substance. (from the top downwards) Not really hard, so to speak, but shape holding. My G. rosea has made a cavern roughly 4x6x3high or so underneath the substrate, and she seems to be alot more calm now than she was before.

Just my very limited experience.

Bill

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like Jungle Mix because it is pre-mixed, doesn't have fertilizer or insecticide, and is sterile. In short, because it was at least made for pets. I like its varied texture - there are fine parts, but also light chunks that the T can move around and do things with. Of some concern is that it has orchid bark, which I've read may be bad for T's.

It seems great for burrowing. I'd recommend packing it down a little. Attached is a pic of my sling in a burrow it dug in about a week:

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?threadid=1317

Last edited:

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I hate the stuff. Scuttle flies breed in it like oversexed rugby players and It has not retained humidity well for me. And forget about cutting it into portions unless you have a powersaw.

I use Sta-green vermiculate and peat moss, which is about $2.50 for a decent sized bag.

-V

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is that the stuff that comes in a brick and you have to soak in the bath tub all night to be able to use it?

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
coconut bedding

I use the expanding coconut shreds for most of my t's. It's great at holding moisture and I've never had any mites or fungus from it. I don't recommend it and will not use it for t's that require a little drier climate though such as Aphonopelma. I have some species of Aphonopelma that like it just fine and some that hate it so I just use something a little dryer.

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes Mr T.

I find no problems with Orchid Bark though.My Tarantulas love it,They practically Live in it! Wait....

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just to clearify, Yes I am talking about Jungle Mix. That is what I use for my T's and my snakes. It comes in a bag, I buy the large bag. I just scoop it out. It is not in a brick form. It is like soil with peat moss in it.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
bed-a-beast is coconut coir, the outside or husk of the cocnut, that comes in bricks and expands in water. there's other brand names, but they should say "coconut coir" on the somewhere.

this is jungle mix.

i've found that one part vermiculite + 3-5 parts Bed-a-beast makes for a good moderate humidity tank. i've had bedabeast mold before, but it was always when i didn't provide enough airflow.
i've never used jungle mix for anything, so i can't help there.

for non-burrowing terrestrials, just give 'em a hide, they should be fine. all of my rosies have varying hides (half-logs, clay pots, etc) and they spend most of their time outside.

hope some of that helps

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use Jungle Mix

My T's seem happy with Jungle Mix, The only problem i have is keeping it wet, Jungle Mix seems to absorb moisture (maybe its because i live in Alberta Land of Severe Dryness) and its Pricy. My T's like to shovel it around, and they seem happy. I have not had any problems with pests using Jungle Mix