Aggressive Beardie

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive had a bearded dragon for almost 9 months, and it gets more aggressive every time i have to deal with it. cant handle it because it puffs up and hisses, and tries to bite anything that goes in the enclosure. i want to be able to handle it but i dont want to get bitten. i dont know how if you even can, calm it down or tame it a little. its just too intent on killing me haha. very defensive. any idea?

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can always turn off the heatlight a half hour or so prior to holding- that may calm him down because he will be cooler. Another way that might work is placing a towel over it, covering its vision. What they cant see cant hurt them. But with my history with reptiles- the time they dont want you to hold them is WHEN you NEED to hold them. once they calm down (even after biting you) they will see that you aren't a threat.

Beardies should be held daily.

I would pick it up and put your thumb and pointer finger in a "ring" around its neck, and hold it close to your body and cover up the eyes. Eventually it will calm down. A lot of their comfort when holding is when the person who is handling them is confident, and if you are afraid of being bitten and hold them with discomfort, they can sense that.

I am by all not an expert but I hope this can help and maybe someone can chime in and help las well. Goodluck!

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Fluke. Both of our beardies are sweethearts, but I've heard that when going through their "teenage" years, they can be a bit defensive, especially male beardies. What if you give him a superworm or something and then while he's mowing down, you could pick him up. Often, it's getting them out that's the hardest part. Once you've got them, they usually tend to calm down. Our amazon tree boa will hiss and strike and all that when we're trying to get him out, but then as soon as he's out, he's extremely docile.

Cass

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
never thought of it as a phase. hes about6-9 inches long. he never was like this before i thought we did something wrong. i guess ill try to get him out and see how he does. but you think he'll outgrow it? thanks for the help guys

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay so on a Canadian Reptile forum that we belong to, there was a thread posted by a user saying that his beardie is less than a year old and used to be calm, but now if the guy even put his hand in the tank, the beardie would puff up and if the guy puts his hand near the beardie, the beardie will lunge at him.

This was the best response: (by Heidi - I'd link it but it won't show you the thread unless you're a member and you can only be a member if you're Canadian :) )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He's prob going thru the nasty teenage years that some dragons go thru. He could also be becoming sexually mature and he's looking for a mate. He see's you as threat to his "space". I had one go thru this and as soon as I put him with another dragons - female of course - he calmed down. You can do 2 things - you can leave him alone but then you risk him staying aggressive by you not handling him or you can keep handling him as if he is not being aggressive (watch out for any bites though). I would keep handling him daily until he passes thru this phase. It can get annoying but don't let it get you down...the phase will pass - eventually. If you know someone with a mature female - you can always try "hooking" them up. Keep a watch on the diet and temps just incase they become a factor in the future."

And a lot of people (including myself) agreed with her. Maybe that's what your guy is going through.

Cass

EDIT: Here's the link, just to be on the safe side: http://www.reptilescanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41834

I actually just noticed a few members on there from the US (I don't know why) so you can join it if you want. We really only use it for the classifieds, haha.

Last edited:

DooM_ShrooM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
same prob with water dragon....bit me 2 times....although im happy being bitten ....its an experience that owners like.....although does that work on water dragons too??

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
update, weve been handling him more and more, your right once hes out he mellows out for a few then he gets kinda agitated, but i think hes all bark and no bite. knock on wood. thanks for the help!