Leopard Gecko Shed Problem

erika357

Arachnopeon
I just got a leopard gecko. She is an adult (unsure of age). She is on sand with access to a moist hide box (which she doesn't seem to like). She had her first shed a couple of days ago and everything seems to be good except that there is a still a bit of skin on the tips of her toes. Should I just let it be? Or maybe take a Q-tip and try to get it off? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should most definitely get the skin off the tips of her toes, or else they can fall off. You can try with water to moisten it and take it off, or even get some of sort of shed-ease product. It's mostly targeted for snakes, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on leos as well. It's pretty obvious when leos go into shed, they get very pale and dull. When you notice this, you can just mist her every once in a while if she doesn't like to go into the humid hide you set up for her.

Cass

LuvRottweilers

Arachnopeon
Hi-be careful of skin left on end of toes,if left and it dries more it will constict around end of toe cutting off circulation in worst case and toe falling off.This is what has usually happened when you see geckos in Pet Stores missing toes.The whole environment should be misted everyday,as with all reptiles unless environment is naturally humid,but not usually.Also sand is not good for Leopard Geckos soft skin,try some type of forest mulch or something which will also retain moisture.

erika357

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much for the fast responses! I sprayed her feet with some of my BPs shed aid. If it is still there tomorrow I will use more water to get it all off. I have been looking into putting slate tiles in the bottom of the cage (I have been told that it works well). Does anybody have experience with this? Will it help the shed problem? Would something like coco fiber be better?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks so much for the fast responses! I sprayed her feet with some of my BPs shed aid. If it is still there tomorrow I will use more water to get it all off. I have been looking into putting slate tiles in the bottom of the cage (I have been told that it works well). Does anybody have experience with this? Will it help the shed problem? Would something like coco fiber be better?
My mom's leos are on cocofibre and she gave them a box that she mists all the time, and they both go in it often. She also mists them daily, even moreso when they're in shed. So far she hasn't had any shedding issues with either of them. You may be better off to switch to cocofibre, it will retain the moisture from any mistings much longer than sand would. And the cocofibre passes through them pretty easily if they accidentally grab some while catching a cricket.

Cass

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It has been a while since we posted in this thread, but I want to thank everyone for their replies.

I think we might switch to coco fiber since I have a bunch of it, and it seems less harmful if swallowed. Humidity is also a great advantage of coco fiber.

I have read some places that they require and arid environment, is this true, if it is should we just mist every now and then? Or should we mist daily, or just try to keep half of the substrate moist?

Thanks

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They need it dry, with a moist box.
Cocofiber, or any particulate substrate is usually not reccomended due to impaction concerns. Slate tile is probably best, after that paper towel.
Just what I remember when I kept geckos.

Last edited:

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks I will look into slate. I do have a most hide, but she never uses it. Should I keep the hide she does use a little moist when she is about to shed?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks I will look into slate. I do have a most hide, but she never uses it. Should I keep the hide she does use a little moist when she is about to shed?

It's good to have a dedicated moist hide available at all times, but especially during sheds. You really need to have it be somewhat airtight to keep the humidity in, along with some sort of substrate in it (like paper towels). And let me clarify on "best" for slate--it's the most nature emulating, and the best looking, while still being functional. Paper towels are MUCH simpler--they don't need to be cleaned, just replaced.

Moistening the entire cage increases chances for mold, bacterial growth, and from what I understand, respitory problems as leos are from an arid climate.

I can't comment as far as keeping them on coir vs slate other than I used slate, and the good people at reptilerooms.com always advised against any particulate substrate.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do keep a moist hide, but she never uses it. Does anyone have any pointer on how to get the skin of her toes. I rub a shed aid on her toes, but she tries to avoid any contact with her toes and my fingers. Even if I run a liberal amount on, it doesn't really seem to help around the tip of the toe/claw area very well.

Should I just mist her a bit.

She just finished shedding, well other than her toes.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could try making a luke warm bath (no soap obviously, not too deep; below the neck). I do that with my water dragon and sometimes the soak does help.

Anyone know if Glycerin is OK for reptiles?