betta breeding

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You should be able to get fairly accurate info from google. I've never bred them myself but I've heard lowering pH, and having floating plants in the tank helps. You would want an airstone in the tank rather than a filter because the water movement can pull the males bubble nest apart. I think a good way to do it would be keep the male in the tank and float the female in a clear container or bag and watch the males displays. I think you would want the male to have a bubble nest built before introducing here though. I've also heard the fry are tiny so you might need tiny brine shrimp young (Artemia nauplii I believe).

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd like to know where you got a female. The LPS I have only has male betas and these dwarf betas (also males. Still flashy, but smaller)

Wonnetz

Arachnopeon
Well i didn't buy them off the internet. I got them at my local pet store or PETSMART

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd like to know where you got a female. The LPS I have only has male betas and these dwarf betas (also males. Still flashy, but smaller)
The petsmarts and petcos in my area all carry female bettas. I've never heard of dwarf bettas though. Are they Betta splendens?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The petsmarts and petcos in my area all carry female bettas. I've never heard of dwarf bettas though. Are they Betta splendens?
maybe. The LPS clerk just said they were dwarf. Probably not a good name but it wasn't a "normal" sized betta that I'm used to. One we got stayed small and unless females do threat displays on their mirror image, it was a male.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did the "dwarfs" have long tails? I they had short tails then they were females and not dwarf bettas. At my lps I've seen some of the females flair there fins and gills like the males do. I've personally never heard of a dwarf betta but who knows you may be right.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did the "dwarfs" have long tails? I they had short tails then they were females and not dwarf bettas. At my lps I've seen some of the females flair there fins and gills like the males do. I've personally never heard of a dwarf betta but who knows you may be right.
I was thinking the same thing, since they usually sell the females at a much smaller size than they do the males.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I go on this site and they have many betta breeders on their who can help offer advice, check it out, all I can say is hope you have like 50 + jars when you have to separate all the offspring... they have A LOT of young! http://www.fishforums.net/

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not really long. Man if you were right, then I regret not grabbing a male for it. My brother's "dwarf" was a cheeky little thing. {D:wall:

Well I think if I ever do freshwater again, I'd want discus and oscars. Both were big pigs and pretty tough fish. I'm done with angels and fancy guppies.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A few quick tips:

1- Make sure to fatten up the female until her ovipositor (egg tube) is clearly visible. That will be a pretty reliable sign that she is ready.

2- Float the female in the males tank using a clear plastic cup that you'd see at a picnic. You can watch them for a bit and see if the female seems receptive. This way, if she's not, she won't get beat up, and you can get her out quickly without wrecking the males bubblenest. I've had receptive females jump right out of the cup to get to the male!

3- Lots of floating plants, no airstones or surface movement of any kind. Warmer and peatier is better...

Good luck!
Scott