Hope she pulls through

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our cherry head conure, Daisy, out of the blue started to throw a fit, my mom shut her in her cage and covered her up. We don't know if this is when it happened, or if it happened at another time, we don't even know HOW, but when we uncovered her 5 minutes later, we noticed she was dripping blood.

We pulled her out and took her into the bathroom to examine it, blood covered the underside of her wing, we took her into the clinic where my mom and I both work, meeting the doctor there even though we're closed. However the clinic doesn't see birds so all we could do was examine the injury, it looks like her humerus bone is broken, and there was a hole in the wing. We pressure wrapped it and put an e-color on her for now, we'll be taking her to see a bird vet tomorrow.

She is very, very, stressed, to the point where she's not screaming, biting, she just sits and lets you pet her. (and if you know my bird thats not good)

Stress can be a killer and birds, its not the wound I'm terribly worried about, its the stress. She'll be spending the night in either my parents room or mine in a carrier. If she can survive the night, thats going to be the biggest mircle of all. So I guess what I'm asking is for all of you to just hope she survives through the night.

I'm in tears right now, practically broken down, she pisses me off sometimes, but god I love this bird and I don't want to lose her.

We examined the cage and we can't find blood anywhere except for where it dripped so we don't where it even got injured.

daytona1911

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry for your pain Ariel. I had a sun conure for years and even though it was a little stinker , I loved that bird as well. I hope it pulls through. do you think it could have gotten caught on the cage somewhere? The fact that it is so stressed and not squaking isnt what Id like to see , but It may pull through . I wish you luck

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear about your bird's injury. I hope she pulls through.

<3exoticpets

Arachnopeon
I'm so sorry, that's really awful! If indeed it is a broken wing, she should be okay. Yes, stress is dangerous for birds, but if she was otherwise healthy and there are no other injuries, she should get through the night, until you are able to get her medical care. Just be sure to not handle her for any reason unless it is absolutely necessary and keep her in a nice quiet comfortable spot. Best of luck and try to stay calm.
p.s.- any local emergency vets by you? (ex: 24 hr hospitals)

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm so sorry Ariel :( The first bird I ever had, just a little parakeet, was "stressed to death".. I don't wish it on anyone :(

Good luck!

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry for your pain Ariel. I had a sun conure for years and even though it was a little stinker , I loved that bird as well. I hope it pulls through. do you think it could have gotten caught on the cage somewhere? The fact that it is so stressed and not squaking isnt what Id like to see , but It may pull through . I wish you luck
Thanks. Yeah, I know enough about birds to know that stress is pretty bad. We really don't know what happened, we think maybe it happened when my mom slammed the door, maybe the wing god caught,but she didn't make a single sound, and I didn't see it get caught or anything, we just don't know, and it sucks. It'd be easier if we knew how it happened...

I'm sorry to hear about your bird's injury. I hope she pulls through.
Thanks, I hope so too. :(

I'm so sorry, that's really awful! If indeed it is a broken wing, she should be okay. Yes, stress is dangerous for birds, but if she was otherwise healthy and there are no other injuries, she should get through the night, until you are able to get her medical care. Just be sure to not handle her for any reason unless it is absolutely necessary and keep her in a nice quiet comfortable spot. Best of luck and try to stay calm.
p.s.- any local emergency vets by you? (ex: 24 hr hospitals)
I really hope you're right. There arn't any emergency vets that see birds. There is one around, but they don't see birds.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm so sorry Ariel :( The first bird I ever had, just a little parakeet, was "stressed to death".. I don't wish it on anyone :(

Good luck!
It sucks. I've never had it happen to one of my birds, but I bought my best friend a cockatiel once when she finally moved into a place of her own, and stress killed the poor thing. I felt awful since she was so excited to get her.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Im so sorry Ariel :(

I really hope she pulls through for you. Just make sure to keep her warm, and calm and in a quiet place until you get her to the vet. Good luck

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im so sorry Ariel :(

I really hope she pulls through for you. Just make sure to keep her warm, and calm and in a quiet place until you get her to the vet. Good luck
Thats what we'll be doing. She's spending the night in a carrier in my parents room, which usually gets really warm over night.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry your bird's injured. I had a sun conure, she died when our heat went out in Winter before I was even 9. :(

I don't know how to mend broken wings but you could dab on some baby powder or flour to stop a bird's bleeding. We did that with a few of our birds when the feathers were cut too short or when one landed in an orange tree. He cut his toe on a thorn.

Shell

Staff member
Thats what we'll be doing. She's spending the night in a carrier in my parents room, which usually gets really warm over night.
Keep us posted. I'll be sending good thoughts.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry your bird's injured. I had a sun conure, she died when our heat went out in Winter before I was even 9. :(

I don't know how to mend broken wings but you could dab on some baby powder or flour to stop a bird's bleeding. We did that with a few of our birds when the feathers were cut too short or when one landed in an orange tree. He cut his toe on a thorn.
Well like I said, we took her to the clinic where my mom and I work at and was able to put a pressure wrap on it (and bind her wing to her body) but our clinic doesn't see birds, so we don't have the stuff to do the sugery and the only clinic that does was closed for the day.

Keep us posted. I'll be sending good thoughts.
I'll be sure too. I think if she makes it through the night that'll be a good start. Right now I can't even sleep I'm sick with worry.

Hope she pulls through for you Ariel.. :(
Thanks Tommy, I hope she does too. :eek:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well Daisy made it threw the night, we dropped her off at the vet this morning. It sucks taking a bird out in weather like this, an injured and stressed bird is already weak. They're going to do x-rays and we're hoping they'll only have to splint it, but they'll probably have to pin it.

Almost forgot to mention, I trust this doctor %100 he did a lot of work on one of our other birds (A cockatiel named Piper, whos sinced passed away) while she was sick/dying of kidney disease.

Shell

Staff member
Glad to hear that she made it through the night :)

Hopefully treatment and recovery will all go smoothly for both her and you.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys.

I just got a call from my mom, they've done x-rays on her and its a pretty low break so internal pinning isn't an option, they're looking at splinting, external fixture, or amputation. At this point the doctor is leaning towards external fixtures. He's started her on pain medication and antibiotics, which I'm glad, I think part of the reason she's so stressed is because she's in so much pain. They're going to be keeping her overnight and possibly tomorrow night, but he wants to get her home as soon as possible, since birds always do better at home.

They also might need to do a blood transfusion, we're not sure yet, the doctor hasn't removed the pressure wrap to see how much blood was lost yet.

The good news is she tried to bite me and my dad this morning.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The good news is she tried to bite me and my dad this morning.
A thank-you bite! That's the best sign yet!

My first parakeet liked to sit on my finger and bite the hell out of it. I always thought it meant she liked me... but she flew away. This was when I was 7, by the way. I was shattered, but I can't imagine seeing an injury. Hopefully, the worst is over.

Not the same thing, but a few years ago I came home to find my dwarf hamster hanging by one of her hind legs on the side of her cage where 2 perpenticular bars met. There was blood, and she was struggling so much... it's horrifying. I have no idea what could have caused the injury in your bird.

All the best to you and your conure, and her possible blood transfusion :).

Edit: Oh, and to end on an encouraging note... which was the whole point of this, I should probably mention that my dwarf hamster made a full recovery and could run again within a week. :)

Last edited:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well Daisy went into surgury around 3:30 pm this afternoon. We just got a call from my mom and the damage was more than we thought, the bone was completely jerked out of the socket and shattered. They're going to amputate the wing tomorrow morning. It's going to be a full amputation.

She'll never be able to fly again, if she survives the procedure. We all feel pretty awful about this, it REALLY sucks.

If anyone has any information about wing amputation, I'd really appreciate it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh Ariel :( I'm so sorry to hear the latest update..

I don't know anything about wing amputations in birds... I only know that dogs who have legs amputated, don't even notice the missing leg. So, I can only hope that a bird missing a wing might adapt the same way.

I hope the surgery goes well :)