Help Please!!! My brand new snake has mites!!!

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got a baby corn snake from the LPS a couple days ago. She's having a bad shed, piece of skin and scales stuck to her. And now I've found at least 10 mites on the poor thing. I know a lot more about arachnids than reptiles, so I'd like some advice on how to handle it. I know I'm completely in my right to take her back, but it would break my heart to send her back there. I feel like I'l be condemning her.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heres a post a did very recently on the issue on another thread. :)

Alright, I talked to my mom and she said she'd never heard of using a betadine solution, she did give me an article about it though, this is from the NAVTA journal, the article is Handling and Care of boa constrictors, but this solution is good for any snake.

"Mites are another common external parasite of captive snakes. The most notable is Ophionyssus natricis (which is likely what the snake has), which tends to inhabit the areas around the eyes, cloaca, and under the scales. This blood-sucking mite may cause pneumonia and septicema. The suggested treatment of mite is a common canine remedy fipronyl spray (AKA Frontline). Data from a study by Ernesto G. Mercado, DVM, MSc, indicated that a 25% fipeonyl dosage could be safely sprayed on snakes suffering with mite or tick insfestation. The application should be administered at a distance of 20 centimeters between the snake and the applicator bottle and should be left on the snake for one to two minutes, depending on the size of the snake. After the appropriate application period, the snake should be rinsed with warm water and the procedure may be repeated if necessary three weeks later. The snakes habitat should also be treated with a 90% fipronyl solution to aid in removal of all parasites"

My mom also said it is possible to using a bleach solution (1 part bleach, 10 part water) to clean the enclosure. I'm trying to get a hold of her (She left for work) to find out about weather or not the snake should be removed while treating the enclosure, I think with the frontline (fipronyl) you wouldn't have to, but the bleach you would, but I'd like to talk to her first before I say any thing definate.

Also, something to be VERY careful of is, frontline is designed to kill arachnids, obviously, be very careful that this isn't done anywhere near your spiders, and make sure you wash your hands very well before going to work with your spiders! I'd hate to see you loose anymore. :(

Anyways, I strongly suggest you find a local reptile vet first and talk to them, I guess their is also an ivermectin solution you can use but it doesn't mention it in the article and my mom couldn't remember the percentages off the top of her head, maybe she'll find out for me from the doctors.

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks very much. Also, any chance of the mites that my snake has potentially effecting my spiders?

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mites are generally host specific. snake mites will go after snakes. i highly doubt they will go after you spiders.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
with a snake that size, treatment should be fairly simple. i would remove all the substrate and replace it with paper towels, they're easy to clean up and it's easy to see the mites on. soak the snake every day to help with the shed problems and gently wipe it down to remove the mites. remember that mites tend to run in 2 week cycles so, you'll probably see them again in a couple weeks. just continue the treatments and eventually, you will have gotten all the adults and eggs.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
with a snake that size, treatment should be fairly simple. i would remove all the substrate and replace it with paper towels, they're easy to clean up and it's easy to see the mites on. soak the snake every day to help with the shed problems and gently wipe it down to remove the mites. remember that mites tend to run in 2 week cycles so, you'll probably see them again in a couple weeks. just continue the treatments and eventually, you will have gotten all the adults and eggs.
I agree. I would avoid the use of chemicals on such a small baby. Keep the set-up simple, very clean, and change the water frequently.