Betta's exploding nostril

inkl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an ancient Betta named Ned. A couple of days ago I noticed a sort of blister or bubble sort of thing forming either on top of or just behind his left nostril. He was pretty lethargic until this morning, when I saw that it had burst. I sprinkled a little aquarium salt on him but I'm not sure what else I can do. He's more active this morning which is good, and more interested in eating, but he still has this gigantic bubble on his nostril.

I tried taking a picture but my camera couldn't do the job, it's all blurry and dark.

Ned has survived many things - he was found swimming in a toilet and has been in the family for 3 years now. I hope this isn't the thing that is the end of him.

inkl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My brother moved into a new house and found a Betta in the downstairs toilet. I guess the previous owners didn't want him anymore :( He's an awesome fish, I love him. He's named after King Edward V who was sent to the Tower of London (it's surrounded by water) and disappeared soon after.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pics?

It sounds like he had some kind of cyst that burst. For now, I'd get his temps up around 82, add 1/2 tsp aquarium salt per gallon, and keep him pristine clean until the wound heals. However, be on the look out for any other behaviors or symptoms that might indicate the nature of the underlying problem. Generally we find these cysts have a parasitic origin.

inkl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, I'll do that. When my brother was taking care of him (not very well), he said Ned got some sort of bubble above his eye, it sounds like this is the same sort of thing. I hope it's not a parasite, I have other fish in the same tank. I can't seem to get a good picture of him and his deformity to post, they all come out blurry and dark.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If there are other fish living with him, you should really set up a hospital tank until the problem is resolved. It isn't generally best to expose healthy fish to medications should they become needed, you will be better able to monitor him individually in a hospital tank, and he will not have the competition and stress of tankmates while he recovers.

inkl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't have the means to set him up in a seperate tank - I would if I could, trust me. I have a divider in the tank, he's got half of it all to himself except for a snail, so while he's sharing water with the other fish, he's got half a 10 gallon tank to himself and seems happy with it. I dosed him with aquarium salt and turned up the temperature. He's more active and interested in what's going on today than yesterday, which is a relief.

inkl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good news is, he seems to be better (relatively). He's back to being interested in food all the time, and flares back and forth with the other betta on the other side of the tank.
I think he's just old and decrepit.