Lets see how long it is before he eats...

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So our 5 or 6 yr old western hognose, Phoenix, is going on a hunger strike, again. :rolleyes: He's done this before and last time he didn't eat for eight weeks, I wonder how long it'll be before he eats this time.

Here he is shortly before he molted. Its been 2 weeks since he molted and other than not eating he's doing fine, really pissy though. lol.

Just to let you know, this isn't a help thread, we're not really worried. Just a, "well lets see how long it'll be" thread.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Awww he's cute :)

My female BP is also on a hunger strike lol but I kind of expect that this time of year. Same thing as yours, she is fine just not hungry. I thought it had only been a couple weeks, but I just checked my records and she hasn't eaten since Jan 4. I wonder how long she will go this time too.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He is a cutie, thats for sure. And usually he's pretty even tempered, just not right now for some reason, and when he's hungry.

It's probably just a winter thing. I don't know if BPs hyberinate but western hognoses are native to the mid west.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WHN is one of my favorites, Thanks for sharing

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Premolt?

Ariel,

This may just be the light angle but his eyes look awfully milky to me.

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oops, didn't read everything.

Ariel, Sorry for the ignorance. Terry

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8 weeks lol? my 3 (rattler, copperhead, and texas rat snake) haven't eaten since October, and probably won't until next month. I have a buddy with a retic that hasn't eaten in over 18 months. Nice snake really like hognoses.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WHN is one of my favorites, Thanks for sharing
They're really great snakes. This is the only one I've had, but I keep hearing their pet holes, but Phoenix is usually very active.

Ariel,

This may just be the light angle but his eyes look awfully milky to me.

Terry
Ariel, Sorry for the ignorance. Terry
It's alright. Ya, this was shortly before he molted, maybe I should get a more currently picture.

8 weeks lol? my 3 (rattler, copperhead, and texas rat snake) haven't eaten since October, and probably won't until next month. I have a buddy with a retic that hasn't eaten in over 18 months. Nice snake really like hognoses.
I've heard of snakes fasting longer than that, thats just his record. We've never had any other snakes long enough for them to really fast on us. (Unless you count the baby corn snake that starved himself to death:wall:)

iluvcreepystuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to have a Eastern Hognose, it was wild caught, I was on the way home and my neighbor had it on a fishing hook:eek:, thinking it was a timber rattler!
I nursed it back to health releasing it the next summer when the wound was just a scar.:)

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gorgeous snake you got there.

You should start a pool on when it eats next.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love the hogs as well. We have one, and although he burrows down in the substrate, he is usually cruising the tank during the day. Never had a problem with him refusing a meal though, so I can't help out there.
I saw a beautiful eastern hognose at Mammoth Cave National park. I snapped one crappy pic before it slithered away.

And our Western

Need to read a little closer lol. Noticed you don't need help with that. :)

Last edited:

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my western stops eating in decemeber and won't start up again till march or april. she only eats sented rodents.....its really awsome....ugh!!

btw, snakes shed not molt

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to have a Eastern Hognose, it was wild caught, I was on the way home and my neighbor had it on a fishing hook:eek:, thinking it was a timber rattler!
I nursed it back to health releasing it the next summer when the wound was just a scar.:)
Thats cool! Easterns are neat, but they require a different kind of diet.

Gorgeous snake you got there.

You should start a pool on when it eats next.
Thanks. And no need now! :p

I love the hogs as well. We have one, and although he burrows down in the substrate, he is usually cruising the tank during the day. Never had a problem with him refusing a meal though, so I can't help out there.
I saw a beautiful eastern hognose at Mammoth Cave National park. I snapped one crappy pic before it slithered away.

And our Western

Need to read a little closer lol. Noticed you don't need help with that. :)
Yeah, i love hogs, they're so neat. And thats what I've noticed, though since he has 3 hides he usually just sleeps in one of those, then late morning comes along and suddenly we have a snake again!

Easterns are cool looking, but I've always prefered westerns, and I have you say yours is a gorgeous specimen!!!

my western stops eating in decemeber and won't start up again till march or april. she only eats sented rodents.....its really awsome....ugh!!

btw, snakes shed not molt
I'm not suprised, they're native to the midwest, they'd usually hybernate in this season.

And either term works, I believe.

----

First off, I did this video of Phoenix a couple of days ago:

[YOUTUBE]ZxnW41DlQkY[/YOUTUBE]

and he ate this morning!!! Not much of a wait huh? {D

Last edited:

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there is a quite a difference both molecularly and hormonally.

For the purposes of casual observation concerning snakes, I think "molt" and "shed" are interchangeable.

Nonetheless, I had difficulty locating any sources - governmental, educational, or otherwise - that indicated there being any difference between a "shed" or a "molt" in snake terminology. Obviously, there are diferences when the animal type is take into consideration (ie, a snake "shed" and a bird "molt").

Anyway, this post wasn't intended to be rude or off topic (though it probably seems to be both), your post just genuinely interested me. If you have the time, I'd like to learn of the molecular and hormonal differences.

Ariel, you have a gorgeous snake. Hope his fast doesn't last too long!