Leopard gecko morph confusion

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Okay, so I have two female patternless albino leopard geckos. One was originally purchased as a male, because I was planning on breeding with my female. Well, he turned out to be a she, so I'm still looking for a male.

Problem is, how do I know what kind of albino they are? one is more yellow than the other, they both have some orange on their tails, and they have different eye colors (one has dark eyes, the other has lighter eyes).

I'm very confused. I'll post some pics when I get home (I'm at work and don't have any decent pics uploaded). I know there are different kinds of albinos (Tremper, Bell, Rainwater, etc). I'm assuming this will matter when it comes to breeding.

I suppose I could always just get a boy that I think is pretty, and not actually plan for the outcome of the babies. But I'm interested in genetics and color morphs, so I'd like to be able to figure out what I have, and what the babies will look like depending on what male I end up with.

Any help is greatly appreciated, or links to sites that can explain this to me better. I fear I'll never know unless I experiment with different breedings, since there is no way for me to find what their parentage was like, and I don't want to do that.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, so I have two female patternless albino leopard geckos. One was originally purchased as a male, because I was planning on breeding with my female. Well, he turned out to be a she, so I'm still looking for a male.

Problem is, how do I know what kind of albino they are? one is more yellow than the other, they both have some orange on their tails, and they have different eye colors (one has dark eyes, the other has lighter eyes).

I'm very confused. I'll post some pics when I get home (I'm at work and don't have any decent pics uploaded). I know there are different kinds of albinos (Tremper, Bell, Rainwater, etc). I'm assuming this will matter when it comes to breeding.

I suppose I could always just get a boy that I think is pretty, and not actually plan for the outcome of the babies. But I'm interested in genetics and color morphs, so I'd like to be able to figure out what I have, and what the babies will look like depending on what male I end up with.

Any help is greatly appreciated, or links to sites that can explain this to me better. I fear I'll never know unless I experiment with different breedings, since there is no way for me to find what their parentage was like, and I don't want to do that.
well....i heard once that its all in name and not color, but i found that tremper albinos are brighter, and rainwater are lighter, but besides that i see no difference either. :?

personally the type of albino doesnt really matter IMO the difference is trempers are from one breeder, rainwater are from another, etc. thats about all i know though so if im missing info im sure others will help you out on the boards

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
are they different genes, though? since albino is a recessive trait, if i were to breed a tremper with a bell, for example, would i get albino mutt babies, or would i get normal babies het for tremper and bell? this is my biggest concern.

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are they different genes, though? since albino is a recessive trait, if i were to breed a tremper with a bell, for example, would i get albino mutt babies, or would i get normal babies het for tremper and bell? this is my biggest concern.
if they are different genes your more likely to get them as hets and full albinos.

but like i said i dont think there really different aside from breeders, because they come from different areas and the breeders who started breeding them have different climates and temps they deal with, and since the higher the temp the brighter they are (aka trempers) it could just be that they come from a warmer or colder area, which affects the incubation even if the incubator was set on a certain temp.

what i mean is, i honestly dont see any difference in the three albinos out there. they have slight differences that can be either ruled out by looking at what there parents could be or by how they were incubated.

K-EDIT: when i say where the breeders are i mean the originl breeders, because trempers as far as i know originated from ron tremper in texas, rain water were apparently started in las vegas, and then the other one (name escapes me at the moment) was bred in a different area.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The albino phenotype can come from various genetic mutations. It can be something the stops the production of melanin, or the "use" of melanin once it is produced. So depending on what mutation caused the animal to be albino, you could breed two albinos and get two normal looking lizards that are het for both types of albino.

You should check a leopard gecko forum to see since I'm sure the cross has been done between the albinos. They may be color variants as hinted to in the previous post (like the purple, lavender and white reticulated python albinos) or they may be different types of albinos as described above (also see albino and amel retics). All three albino leopard geckos have been around long enough you should be able to find the results online.