FIRE BELLY TOADS!!!!! advice?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so im going to be getting 4 fire belly toads!:D im so excited. im going to do alot of research but i want to know if there is anything particular i should know. i have a few questions. should i heat the water. I hear they have a toxin what does this do? and can do i use a substrate (ecoearth) in their enclosers. a picture of somones encloser would be the best thing in the world. im going to look around the sight for firebelly toads. any advice is appreciated!:D

Last edited:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are some shots of our enclosure from different angles, we also have 4 toads:

We don't heat the water, the substrate on the dry quarter is cocofibre. We have compact fluorescents for the pothos and java fern that are in there. We do a weekly 50% water change.

As far as the toxins go, I'm not sure what the effects would be, but we always wash our hands after doing anything with them. Don't eat or lick them and you should be fine.

Make sure they have a lot of water and some places to perch up on. We have ours in a 10 gal and they're almost constantly in the water, or on the perches/rocks above the water. They don't spend a whole lot of time on the dry part.

Cass

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They produce a ton of waste. Make sure to keep the water clean.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool

nice encloser. im so excited. im getting them from a freind that didnt want them anymore tomorrow. do i need like a filter and everything in the water? or a bubbler? cuz i gotta beleive ther kinda messy:?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a filter in ours. We only feed them about once a week to keep their weight to a healthy level (they get overweight very quickly) so their waste production isn't really that bad.
Cass

EDIT: We just ran an NO3- test which came up less than 5mg/L. Considering as 20mg/L is considered good and 40mg/L is considered harmful, that's pretty darn good.

Last edited:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one more question

i have one more question. how many crickets should i feed each one every week

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One each. We tweezer feed to keep track of how much they get. If you think they are getting thin, up the feedings, but that works for us.
We offer mealworns or waxworms instead of crickets occasionally.