all you snake people

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
now i dont ever get any snakes. they just arent my cup of tea. but i have a question. do you guys keep like deadly snakes. like rattle snakes and such. just curious:?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people keep hots, some don't. It depends on personal taste. I don't keep any hots, but I do think they are very beautiful animals.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Hass

This is what I saw this morning{description}:

At my friends house, and feeding T's right ? I turn around and my buddy
{trained professional} is removing w/ tongs.......Dead un-eaten Prey from sliding drawer container..........And......:evil:.....{D

An ALBINO Rattler lashes out! He is calm and prepared........I woulda under-estimated the Strike-Distance, at that particular angle. Wow! Exciting :eek:

I could Never *keep* such creatures..........And have listened to debates in Past - from "Hot-Keepers". Eyelash Vipers, seem 2 B one of the most Popular
venomous snakes in captivity. Meant 2 B left in the Wild I "feel".
I won't hate, though keep'em outta my Yard! :cool:

No neighbor would want me slingin' Butcher Knives over the fence towards them :rolleyes: LOL - Jason

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to keep a group of eyelash vipers and a pygmy rattler before I moved to Chicago but I don't think they are legal here so I sold them. Now I mostly keep smaller stuff, alot of morphs of hondurans.

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
explain please

Before answering, maybe it would help if you explained what kind of information and details your interested in?
2Bears

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people are just fascinated by species of snake that happen to be venomous. As long as risks are acknowledged and precautions taken it can be made into a less dangerous task. My humble opinion is that venomous should not be kept by private individuals but should be left to zoological institutions. Accidents in which zoos need to supply exotic antivenom in an emergency can deplete the supply meant to be protecting zoo staff who work daily with these creatures as a profession. Some people do appear to keep venomous quite responsibly so I might be inclined to put a "most" in front of private individuals...but I digress.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Before answering, maybe it would help if you explained what kind of information and details your interested in?
2Bears
i ment potentialy deadly snakes. like do you think its worth risking your life whenever you open the tank?

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
keeping venomous reptiles

If you are considering keeping venomous reptiles the wise thing to do is spend
several hours with some one that has many years experience working with them in a safe and responsible manner.
That would include the correct tools and anti venom on hand.
There are many people that do this every day and have never had a problem,
and do feel because of their passion and interest in the animals it is worth it.
BUT....to just have one to be cool and show off......those type of people in my opinion should not have them in the first place, sooner or later it turns out bad for them... then more bad press for the reptile community.
2Bears

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not keep any hots and I doubt I would ever feel cormfortable having a deadly venomous snake in the house or around family members. I do keep coastal carpet pythons, jungle carpet pythons california kingsnakes , and hognoses. I also want to get back into keeping rosy boas again someday down the road. My favorite venomous snakes are mojave rattle snakes and the eastern diamond back rattle snakes.

John

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes we do.:rolleyes:

Venomous reptiles are truly amazing but they are best kept like fish "look at them but dont touch" Unless of course you have to clean or medicate the animal.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to breed Gaboon vipers (western) and mexican moccasins, and currently have a western diamond back and a copperhead and may be getting a cobra at the next hot show. I have many years of experience, all the necessary tools, and no desire to handle them. I have been struck at but never bitten and am not worried. Everything is locked and secure at all times and I house in enclosures large enough to be opened without putting myself in strike range.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i ment potentialy deadly snakes. like do you think its worth risking your life whenever you open the tank?
It is not like that. A responsible keeper of any exotic or dangerous animal (not always synonymous) does not see every day as a life risking adventure. This mentality may fit some adrenaline junkies, but not keepers as a whole from my experience. Some of the posts above mention responsible practices. By using these you greatly reduce (not eliminate) risks involved. Many that keep animals that can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Many are as mentioned above "look but don't touch" pets. Even when it is time to medicate them there are options that do not involve any physical contact with a conscious snake. There are tools including locks, transport cases, tubes, hooks, etc. prevent contact with the animal. The few cases of mistakes typically involve someone in a hurry or being stupid.

Now, since the majority of keepers aren't keeping them for the adrenaline rush, why do they keep them? Same reason you keep your pets I'm sure. There is an interest there. With experience you don't see it as a life threatening venture to feed your snakes. You realize and respect the animal and know that you have to be careful to reduce the threat as much as possible. Don't be a dope and take precautions and keeping them can be quite rewarding....provided you have the proper experience and maturity to keep them properly.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The majority of snake people don't keep venomous snakes, the vast majority... I think.
The majority would also never keep venomous snakes even if they lived in one of the few places where it is legal.

Last edited:

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
BTW I would like to mention there is a guy on youtube called viperkeeper who posts tons of videos on keeping and feeding hot snakes much like tarantulaguy1976 and jon3800 do with tarantulas. Only difference is that he's risking his life and tarantula keepers are only risking being in a world of hurt if working with pokies.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How many people keep or ride horses? If you look at the statistics, and if you've been around horses enough, you'll realize that those people also risk their lives and physical well-being every time they enter the stable or saddle up a horse, yet I'd bet most are never questioned about whether they feel it's "worth it" to ride a horse.

I don't currently have any "hot" snakes, just large constrictors, but I have kept venomous snakes in the past. I did not think of them as pets and had no desire to handle them, but appreciated them for their beauty and challenges they presented. I was not, logically speaking, putting my life in anymore of a risk by opening a cage containing a Canebrake Rattler than my sister does when she goes in the paddock with her horses. I've never been seriously injured by a snake, venomous or otherwise, while she's been hospitalized three times from injuries inflicted by a horse. My JOB puts me at a far greater risk of being hurt or killed-I teach Jr. High in a high-crime, gang-ridden, high-poverty area-than does the keeping of venomous snakes by a responsible, knowledgeable person.

pitbulllady

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very well said about the horses... When I did keep venomous the main thing I didn't like was that you definately cannot be very hands on with them, obviously. So cleaning the cages and water ect. I had to remove the snakes and move them to a holding enclosure. Wich is especially annoying because I like to change substrate at least once a week and water daily. If one of the vipers or something did get a bad shed or needed some sorta help you have to get pretty creative to help them sometimes.

Lilmetalallyson

Arachnopeon
Well, as of now i don't own any, but in the future i plan on legitimately owning an albino cobra. I will have more than this but this is the only one i am decided on. I will have a collection at some point though. :)