PDA

View Full Version : substrate question

hassman789
02-20-2010, 12:13 AM
:does anybody her notice that the eco earth coco fibers are just really poofy. like mine is always so soft. the T sinks in and gets absolutly no traction. the only way i can get it to not be so poofy is to put only about an inch of it which isnt really enough. if i put more in my T will avoid it. does anybody else have this problem?:? now i just use peat moss that is mixed with som aged douglas oak stuff. it has wood chips so i cover it in alittle bit of eco earth so thers not as much.

AbraxasComplex
02-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Easiest solution is to pack the cocofiber down. No more sinking, more traction. That's what I do.

hassman789
02-20-2010, 12:25 AM
i have tryed packing this stuff with my hands. is that what u mean? this stuff frustrates me sooooo much. this really makes me obsessive compulsive. like it has to be perfect for me to stop futzin with it:8o

AbraxasComplex
02-20-2010, 12:28 AM
I push it down when I put it in the tank. You can always mix it with play sand, peat moss, and small wood chips (douglas fir bark or Cyprus).

8by8
02-20-2010, 12:44 AM
I pack mine down or mix it with either vermiculite or that jungle moss stuff in the bricks or any combination depending on species.

SpiderDane
02-20-2010, 06:11 AM
I just press the subtrate fairly hard in the enclosure(not so hard that the glass breaks). I have used eco earth in a couple of my T enclosure, and i havent got the "problems" you got :D