Housing desert king

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is the best sized cage to buy for a desert king? I was thinking a 20-30 gal, but I keep hearing 60... is this necessary? Maybe go for 40 gal to be safe? I want to get the sliding locking cage type because I have a fiance deathly afraid of snakes.... but cool with inverts... :?

Also for heat source, what is the safest heat source to use in an enclosed environment such as a spider closet? I am currently using a heat light for a heat source, but I am considering the heat pad because of fire safety concerns. Is a 12x 8" heat mat adequate? Is there a brand that stands out in safety?

What kind of substrates do you snake enthusiasts use? Is newspaper ok for this type of snake? Or should I stick to aspen so it can hide and feel safer? I have several housing strategies if newspaper is ok, I would like to use it because it is cheap and more sanitary. I plan on using some driftwood that I found and am letting winter in the cage for the snake to climb on.

What other things can I use to make this snake happier? It sure is a grumpy and un-handle-able fellow of lately... trying to make it happier :)

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Go with the whatever heat pad matches the size of your tank, I use the
Zoo-med heat pads.

How long is your snake? My three foot Durango Mountain King is fine in a 15G I just put about 4-5'' of aspen bedding for my kings since they like to burrow. You can use newspaper I personally prefer aspen though since the aspen gives them a great place to hide.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go with the whatever heat pad matches the size of your tank, I use the
Zoo-med heat pads.

How long is your snake? My three foot Durango Mountain King is fine in a 15G I just put about 4-5'' of aspen bedding for my kings since they like to burrow. You can use newspaper I personally prefer aspen though since the aspen gives them a great place to hide.
Thank you, I will go ahead and go with the 20 g locking screen top for now. My snake is around 3' right now as well. I was looking at the zoo med heat pads and that is probably what I will go with. I will also just stick with the aspen; you make a good point about hiding and it would probably just stress the snake out more to be on newspaper.

Thanks again,
Nate

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you, I will go ahead and go with the 20 g locking screen top for now. My snake is around 3' right now as well. I was looking at the zoo med heat pads and that is probably what I will go with. I will also just stick with the aspen; you make a good point about hiding and it would probably just stress the snake out more to be on newspaper.

Thanks again,
Nate
No problem I keep my 3 king snakes in a cabinet with the heat pads on constantly, so far no problems with the heat the temperatures run almost perfectly. Just make sure to utilize those little rubber feet the heat pad comes with.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Zoo Med heat pads are known for running hot. Make sure you use a thermostat with it. You should use one for any heat pad you use.