Mystery Python

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can someone ID this python for me? I purchased him unseen as an Australian Water Python (laisis fuscus), which I'm pretty sure he's not. He almost looks like a Macklots. I spent a few hours going over pics online and I can't quite find anything that looks exactly like him. These are the best pics I have of him right now. He's about 7+ feet long. A little hissy but a very nice snake.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From the white belly (with a bit of a yellowish tinge toward the head), the pattern, temperament, and size, I'd say Macklotts. I don't work much with Liasis sp. so I cannot say I'm 100% sure on that, but I'd venture to say it is a Macklott's python. If so it is about full grown. If it is L. fuscus, it will get about twice that length. If you post some better pictures of the belly I might be a bit more sure.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks. I think he's a macklots too. Not quite what I ordered, but he's a nice snake. Trying to get him all fed and hydrated. He's pretty scruffy looking right now. I'll see if I can get some better pics of him this weekend. :cool:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is definitely a Macklott's, and I've had plenty of them. I used to have a Liasis fuscus which looks very different-narrower head, uniform chocolately-brown coloration without any visible speckling or pattern, and a bright, lemon-yellow belly. Here's a pic of that snake:
. I've also had Olives, which look similar to Water Pythons, but are a bit stockier and of a more subdued coloration(again, totally patternless), and they get a LOT bigger. Scrub Pythons have a shorter, more blunt snout, and distinctive black stripes just behind the head, which is why they are often called "Bar-neck Scrubs".

pitbulllady