Sea world

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So recently an orca whale trainer got killed by the animal. This is the THIRD person this animal has killed. Now they are saying they want to kill the whale...How you going kill the whale for being a whale? Some humans have too much power over the lives of the innocent smh

I don't know much about these whales but if they let it go back out into the wild will it be able to defend for its self by watching other whales of the same species or is that instinct always going to be there, just knowing how to kill?

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"They" is not Seaworld. In a press conference this morning/afternoon (depending on your time zone), Seaworld stated that they were not going to put it down and that the orca in question will remain as and "active, contributing member of the team," although it's yet to be determined in what role.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To be fair, one of those three deaths involved a man who snuck into the animal's enclosure after hours in his swim trunks, and the coroner's report suggested he became hypothermic and drowned. The whale merely played with his body a bit. Or, so has read the most current info I've seen on it. Even if he did kill that guy, I hadly see that as a mark against whale, just like I don't blame a lion when some moron jumps in its enclosure at the zoo. Honestly, if some creep snuck into my room at night in his shorts, I'd probably attack him as well.

At any rate, I strongly doubt SeaWorld would even consider killing the orca over this. Captive orcas are a commodity; compared to something like tigers, wolves, or bears which are a dime a dozen in captivity, orcas generally have to be WC at great expense, or obtained successfull CB - a rarity. Regardless of the public outcry about the incident, they'd get much more outcry if they killed the whale - plus I'm sure they still intend to use him as a stud as he was origionally intended to create more miserable captive whales.

In short: the whale is unlikely to be killed, just as it is unlikely to be re-released. There's some discussion of this in Watering Hole as well.

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well stated RoachGirlRen.. Its not the whales fault but the ignorance we humans have..We shouldn't blame things on animals for there natural habits. It is the way the cycle of life works, but we as humans think of it as being barbaric.. For instance, my family butchers our own cows for food and when I told people I knew about it they said that it was mean and horrible.. Well.. In my mind, I was thinking you dumb (edit) you buy steaks and meat products in stores but it just happens behind closed doors and to afraid to "dirty" your own hands..

Last edited by a moderator:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well stated RoachGirlRen.. Its not the whales fault but the ignorance we humans have..We shouldn't blame things on animals for there natural habits. It is the way the cycle of life works, but we as humans think of it as being barbaric.. For instance, my family butchers our own cows for food and when I told people I knew about it they said that it was mean and horrible.. Well.. In my mind, I was thinking you dumb (edit) you buy steaks and meat products in stores but it just happens behind closed doors and to afraid to "dirty" your own hands..
alright thanks everyone for the updates...Im glad sea world won't kill such a majestic animal.

Last edited by a moderator: