New Snake Need Advice ASAP

RatDrall

Arachnopeon
I got my first snake, a "Desert King".

I was setting up a 10 gallon tank (he's still not fully grown) and after the heating pad heated up, the tank cracked. I have to house the snake for the night, I can get a new tank tomorrow. I have him in a small 1 gallon critter keeper. It's much bigger than the container he came in, and he looks comfortable enough coiled up in the middle. Is there anything wrong with keeping him in there for the night until I can get him into a bigger enclosure tomorrow?

A side note.... This snake is awesome! He doesn't mind being handled at all, and sits still or goes from hand to hand, seemingly content.

Thanks for any advice!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd recommend getting a thermostat or a rheostat for your heat pad. If just allowed to heat up to maximum capacity, it'll likely be much too hot for your snake or continue to crack tanks.

RatDrall

Arachnopeon
I'd recommend getting a thermostat or a rheostat for your heat pad. If just allowed to heat up to maximum capacity, it'll likely be much too hot for your snake or continue to crack tanks.
Is this a common problem? I had it on the side of another tank, and didn't have an issue with cracking.

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wise words, also in my experience it is good to line the glass where the heat pad is with something if you are using aspen so the snake won't have direct contact with the heated glass.

RatDrall

Arachnopeon
Wise words, also in my experience it is good to line the glass where the heat pad is with something if you are using aspen so the snake won't have direct contact with the heated glass.
Like what?

When I get my new tank, the pad will be mounted on the side of the tank, could the snake cook himself on that?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never had a heating pad crack the tank glass. It would have to be awfully hot to do that, which means it probably was malfunctioning. It's a good thing it DID crack the glass and get your attention, though, since that sounds like a real fire hazard! I'd test it by putting a thermometer or a heat gun on it, to see what temp it gets to(while you're able to keep an eye out on it, of course). Either the glass of the tank was very thin, or the heat pad got way too hot, but I'd bet on the latter.

pitbulllady

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Excellent Advice as Well...

...Pearls of Wisdom ;) Whatever petstore that you go to, to purchase
Heat-pads......Should have Grey, Brown, and Green terrarium Liners.
That is an affordable option, that I am starting to use. Easy 2 clean also.
I sometimes use News P in a bind. Surround with Shavings for asthetic apeal.
{always RAISE the tank w/ silicone or wood-strips at corners. Never place on carpet}

By the way......One or two nights are Just fine.....Unless rescently Digesting food.

Does your Dessert King have alot of Yellow Spots......Or is it a Darker variety?

GL - Jason

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the cracked tank hasn't fallen apart and still holds substrate, I don't see why even bother changing tanks at all. If you're worried about the snake cutting itself, just put some aquarium sealant over it, let it dry, and it's fine.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've used ceramic or slate tiles on the bottom of the tank to help reduce temps and it distibutes the heat better then the glass.

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like what?

When I get my new tank, the pad will be mounted on the side of the tank, could the snake cook himself on that?
On the side is fine if its a 5G if its larger id recommend putting it underneath. I generally put some terrarium carpet over the glass.

RatDrall

Arachnopeon
OK, so it was definately a malfunctioning heat pad. I tested it today, and the plastic melted off of the heat pad :mad:

I got a new tank and am getting a new heat pad tomorrow.

Quick question on the substrate - I am using something called "repti bark", it's all bark from a fir tree. I was told to avoid certain kinds of wood chips, like cedar and pine, because they can cause respiratory problems or something. Will what I'm using be ok?

Also, I have a coconut shell that the snake barely fits in, but tries, and a half log that he curls up under and peeks out. Do snakes need a big hide, or do they like to be all squished up and cozy?

Thanks for the advice :)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK, so it was definately a malfunctioning heat pad. I tested it today, and the plastic melted off of the heat pad :mad:

I got a new tank and am getting a new heat pad tomorrow.

Quick question on the substrate - I am using something called "repti bark", it's all bark from a fir tree. I was told to avoid certain kinds of wood chips, like cedar and pine, because they can cause respiratory problems or something. Will what I'm using be ok?

Also, I have a coconut shell that the snake barely fits in, but tries, and a half log that he curls up under and peeks out. Do snakes need a big hide, or do they like to be all squished up and cozy?

Thanks for the advice :)
Yikes! That's what I figured, but it's scary when you think about it. If you had not tested it, this was a fire waiting to happen.

Snakes like to be snug and cozy in their hides, but at the same time, you have to allow for the snake's growth, so you will need one that will not have to be replaced within a few weeks as the snake gets larger. I've never used Repti-bark for snakes, so I can't tell you about it. I use plain old newspapers as substrate, since it's readily available and easy to clean up and replace. Two local paper delivery people are more than happy for me to take unsold papers off their hands. With snakes, you want to make sure that the substrate is not composed of small bits and pieces that can stick to prey items and be ingested, since this can cause intestinal impactions that will kill the snake.

pitbulllady

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can keep a desert king on repti bark. Just keep it dry. If it's slightly damp for a few days after opening that's fine.

You could use newspaper too. I tried it, and my problem was that my snakes got under it and the crumpling was keeping me up at night.

Another good substrate is aspen.