Bearded dragon help

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So here's the situation - I'm housesitting for my sister and her roommate while they're on vacation. Just take care of their rabbits and bearded dragon. Pretty easy right? I thought so too but now I've run into a situation that I wasn't prepared for - the bearded dragon laid eggs. I'm 100% certain that she hasn't been mated so I'm sure that they aren't fertile and I'm just wondering what to do. I tried texting my sister but she hasn't responded (can't really blame her for that as she's in the warm and sun). Should I just trash them? Are beardies typically defensive after laying (this one isn't handled very often so it's not vey people friendly to begin with)? Any advice you all can give me is much appreciated.

Rockstarpets

Arachnopeon
Don't panic, this is a good thing, much better than her getting bound up! Just give her some extra calcium and if you are sure they are infertile just go ahead and toss them.

In the future, you may want to keep part of the sand with some dirt mixed in and slightly moist also to encourage healthy laying.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. I actually got a text from my sisters roommate about a half hour after I posted here giving the same info. Still nice to have somebody else back it up though.

8by8

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is the candle lighting technique. Not exactualy sure on specifics, but you hold a flashlight under the egg. If there is red veins running throughout the egg, its good.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it's anything like candlighting for tarantulas it's just taking an LED light and holding it up to it. But the likelihood that an unknown bearded dragon survived the cold Wisconsin weather, snuck into her house, found the room with the bearded dragon in it, managed to find a way into the tank, mated, and then left with no trace is too far out of the realm of probability that it's just not worth my time to check. ;)