Carnivorous Plant questions

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I supose this can go here... they dont have spines.

I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get info on these. I'm considering setting up a tank or two of carnivorous plants. One for venus fly traps and others that need a seasonal set up with a dormant period... but I was wondering if there are any that can be set up year round.

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Savage Garden by peter D'Amato is a must. venus flytraps (Dionea muscipula) require a winter dormancy. all north american carnivorous plants do. also depending on where you live there is a good chance you could grow them outside. along with North American pitcher plants and sundews (Sarracenia and Drosera). Now, if you want an indoor terrarium plant check out the genus Nepenthes. (my favorite)

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want a terrarium of both. I could do it outside I live in southern mississippi so I dont see it being too big of a problem.

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd suggest outside for sarracenia and dionea, you pretty much have the perfect climate for them but its up to you.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go to terraforums.com it's a carnivorous plant enthusiest forum.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Might do some of the ones that need the dormant period outside.

I really want a nice tank i can look at year round though any suggestions on those?

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm really liking the Australian pitcher plant, (Cephalotus) they look really cool and dont seem to need the winter dormant period just alittle rest

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend them as a starter plant, they're extremely finicky but hey some can manage it!

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
but they are the coolest looking. =P

does it help my second T was a cobalt blue... well my first invert was a s. subpinipes dehaani (hong kong giant) ... so I like a challenge =P

probably end up doing some diffrent color venus fly traps / sundews and pitcher plants to start out.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no you wont be able to keep it alive.
start small. go with a venus flytrap, or a pitcher plant. some nepethis do well as house plants.

these are extremely finicky plants

and not to many can be kept in a tank. only a select few.

SDiego

Arachnosquire
Has anyone ever maintained a cape sundew? Are they difficult to raise and keep alive? They look cool.

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no you wont be able to keep it alive.
start small. go with a venus flytrap, or a pitcher plant. some nepethis do well as house plants.

these are extremely finicky plants

and not to many can be kept in a tank. only a select few.
Yea I wasnt going to try them first since they are finicky... gambling with finicky 5 dollar plants is way better than doing it with 50 dollar plants.

I was under the impression alot of them could be kept in tanks as long as you give them the proper light, temp, and if needed their dormant period and all that. A tank better suits my needs because of them room they are in. The only place I have to put them is away from any window.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cape sundews are near impossible to kill. They can be tremendous weeds and grow under almost any conditions so long as they are kept moist. When I was growing CPs, I grew them all outdoors in southern california.

SDiego

Arachnosquire
Cape sundews are near impossible to kill. They can be tremendous weeds and grow under almost any conditions so long as they are kept moist. When I was growing CPs, I grew them all outdoors in southern california.
Cool. Please let me ask you, where do you get them in Southern Cali? I'd like to try raising a couple.

Also, do you feed them bugs/insects? And I assume bottled/distilled water, yes?

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When I was keeping them I was living in Glendora Monrovia area. They can actually often be picked up places like home depot or lowes. If you are really interested in growing these plants I suggest joining the international carnivorous plant society. I never had to feed them they caught plenty on their own, yes distilled/ro water is the best for them.

Reptiliatus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi there,

Feel free to pm me with any questions aswell!

I grow a multitude of nepenthes, sarracenia, dionaea, drosera and cephalotus carnivorous plants :)...

It's an amazing hobby aswell! :D

Also feel free to check out my YouTube channel "Reptiliatus", seeing as I post frequent videos on my plants, how to keep them and I answer any questions you might have via PM too.

Take care, Dayyan

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
bugbitingplants.com is a decent user friendly site
Drosera and sarracena do well in my outdoors bog...there is purpurea and rotundifolia in it and the pitchers look a wonderful purple in the late season and reseed well...the winter up here stratifies the small seed well.
I have an indoor terrium set up in my spider room with a lot of binata in it and a few spathulattas....they do well and feed off of any fhorid fly that may appear .....ya knbow the occasional basemant knat