Dog keepers, I got this here question...

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I have a friend (and his family) who have taken in a young dog. It's a Bernese Mountain Dog.

First and foremost, those people have not much knowledge of how a dog's mind works. I'm no expert myself but let's say how I behave towards the dog makes it listen pretty much on the spot, where as they are fighting an uphill battle. Garbage bins get searched, diapers torn open and spread over the floor, the dog is by now large enough to just comfortably reach onto the table and is anything within reach it will eat it unless a child sits straight in front of the food. Well, you can imagine, jumping, mounting of the cat, chewing of anything that has a distinct (or foody) smell, and so forth. And when ever I give the tiniest advice on how to counteract anything I get the same response "Oh he's just young! He'll learn in time!". Yeah good luck. If this doesn't annoy you yet then wait 'til he weighs 100lb.

To the question, which honestly has hardly anything to do with what I've just talked about... :wall:

They don't take the dog for walks, saying that they were told by the breeders not to do so while he was still growing. Is there any truth to that so should not be done or are those folks just lazy?

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lazy. My dogs have always gotten daily walks, even when pups. They'll definitely tire out quicker at a young age, but I'm a firm believer that every dog needs some type of daily exercise. Given their apparent lackadaisical approach so far, I'm not sure that dogs gonna be a lifelong companion.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Lazy. My dogs have always gotten daily walks, even when pups. They'll definitely tire out quicker at a young age, but I'm a firm believer that every dog needs some type of daily exercise. Given their apparent lackadaisical approach so far, I'm not sure that dogs gonna be a lifelong companion.
Well it won't anyhow, that breed has an average life span of 7 years. I could understand if they didn't take out a dog at sucking (to be correct) age as I would expect a "dog" in the wild and at that age to stay at the den, but that dog is obviously NOT in that stage for many obvious reasons.

I'm getting more and more interested in getting a dog myself but unless I can promise it to take it for twice daily long walks I won't get one.

Rick & Brandy

Arachnopeon
yes he needs to walk, but being lazy is an uphill battle! Walking is only a start! This is a very smart dog, He needs stimulation!! (games, and a little maze, or coarse set up in the yard, teaching tricks is also a good way to keep his mind working) When he gets bored there will be destruction!! Get him something to do. If you start to stimulate his mind everyday, you should see a difference in the dog within days! Hope they can do at least some of this for the bored little guy!

LuvRottweilers

Arachnopeon
That poor dog's life is off to a bad start-first of all,by what you have said,no one spends 1 on 1 time with that dog,can tell by behaviour you describe.1 on 1 time with your dog teaching basic commands verbally,while showing the pup what you mean will give him a sense of accomplishment,as well as building that essential "mans best friend"bond.As far as not walking him,BS,thats when a dog and owner get to "hang out" together,that all important 1 on 1 time.That particular breed is intelligent also,waste of a nice dog.

Niloticus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Walking is a good thing for any dog, even puppies. It has so many benefits and it does part of the teaching while being leashed. For one, it trains dogs the correct way to behave while on a leash and it often exposes them to social surroundings. I don't know much about the Bernese Mountain Dog but what it seems to me is that they are a huge teddy bear. Some form of exercise is important for any dog. Pit Bulls need tons...

Niloticus - "lila4321@hotmail.com"

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
a non exercised dog will find other ways to work off pent up energy.. aka tearing up your house... walking them is VERY good for the dog

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Yeah I'm with you all on everything that has been said! I just wasn't sure if there was anything to the thing about not walking him while he is little. But as I said, he ain't little any more so there's not even that defence.

The problem is that that dog will never really have a chance for a good home there if they don't shape up in one way or another. The family have four kids too, which they are of course very dedicated to. (The dog is very good with the kids btw!). When I heard that they were going to get a dog (on top of all those kids) I asked them if that really was such a good idea. But you can imagine that that question fell on deaf ears. The other day when visiting them I tried a sneaky approach, by trying to get the father to watch a little dog whisperer (as I said I'm no expert and the views on how dogs should be treated differ widely, but Cesar Millan seems to know pretty much what he's doing). I didn't try to sneak that show in there to get them to be little dog whisperers but to at least get the message that dogs need to go for daily long walks! But no, my friend didn't wanna watch "such crap".

I guess we can all only gather in a little circle and shed a tear. There isn't much else one can do. I will continue to pelt my friend with suggestions and probing questions, but he's pretty good at spotting and avoiding those. He knows what he's doing in that department at least. But next time he's annoyed that the dog pulled out and ate the diapers again I'll tell him: Take your dog for longs walk and this will stop happening. Maybe the dog himself hammers the message home at last.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
when i was at physical therapy a couple weeks ago there was a woman who was talking about how she went out and got a puppy for her daughter (a lab/mastif mix) and i was talking about how i used to foster dogs and i was like "yeah i think most people run into problems when they dont research the dog breed before getting the dog... they just get it as a puppy cause it looked cute.." and then she gave me a weird look and I realized thats what she had done..lol

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
when i was at physical therapy a couple weeks ago there was a woman who was talking about how she went out and got a puppy for her daughter (a lab/mastif mix) and i was talking about how i used to foster dogs and i was like "yeah i think most people run into problems when they dont research the dog breed before getting the dog... they just get it as a puppy cause it looked cute.." and then she gave me a weird look and I realized thats what she had done..lol
Smart.
I think everybody should be required to have a license before they can get a dog. If someone asks me "How can you keep those disgusting spiders in that tiny box?" I could probably just as well say, "I know more about my spider than you about your dog." People seem to think that dogs just are doing well by default, and if not, it's the dog's fault. I must say that all cred then goes to the awesome animal dog, that is so incredibly tolerant and loyal that it can and will stick to any crappy dog owner, even if it suffers like hell in the process. People don't seem to see that dogs know exactly what to do in "every" situation within their world, it's the people who have not the slightest clue. That's when the dog takes over responsibility for the tasks in and outside the den, and people shouldn't be surprised if the dog's mind leaves its impression all over the house.

But I'm preaching to the choir...

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no 'long walks or jumping' because the growing puppy will damage joints that are not yet strong enough for his weight, my bullmastiff puppy is the same. basic training is a must, and BMD's are working dogs that NEED a job to help occupy them so some type of herding or patrol or protection expectation is necessary. Never get a dog if ya do not know the breed needs I always say.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When you say "young" dog - just HOW young?

They are neglecting a working breed - and that can only lead to trouble!
Walking the dog is a good way to bond, but working and high energy breeds are not worn out by walks alone. A young dog can go swimming all it wants, and it's good for their joints... do they have anywhere they can take the dog swimming?
They can also play fetch in the backyard. Agility training is good stimulation for a working breed... they can make all the obstacles at home, and leave out the jumps until the pup is older.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
reverendsterlin - I only hope for the dog that there is something to it then.

Teal - I think the dog must be about 6-7 months old by now. They have a farm, so plenty of space. But this is Northern Scandinavia, snow and ice for 5½ months so right now there isn't much swimming unless you slip it into the public pool and that dog is a bit too large to fit under a towel without raising suspicion :D.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ahh, I didn't realize what country yall are in.. I am jealous, I'm American-born Scandinavian and I've always wanted to visit!

At 7 months old, the dog can do light running (such as playing some fetch in the backyard) and can definitely go for walks. Tiring out the brain is a little more important than the body.. so training will help!