Best feeders

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have to agree with the group. I have been breeding roaches for a couple of years now and the dubia win hands down. I have also had very good luck with the E. prosticus. Both are good breeders with the proper conditions and are easy to deal with. If you can handle climbers the N. cinerea are the fastest breeders. Without even trying a few hundred will become a few thousand. Good Luck.
James

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have lobster cockroaches, and they are the best feeders. This is because of several reasons:

- they don't stink

- they're quiet animals

- they have a soft exoskeleton

- they're very hardy

- easy to feed

- almost any herp will eat them

- they grow to plague proportions in a very short time period

- they're the right size for almost any herp to handle

one quality they have that makes them a little difficult to feed to herps:

- they climb glass very proficiently

Lobsters are very good roaches, if you can ignore the climbing part.

laters,
Bill:D

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Roaches

I will agree with you that they do breed fast and are hardy. I think I saw you post on another thread that these guys would die easy if they escaped. I have kept these roaches outside in 40F-60F with no food and water and they survived for over a month before I moved them. I agree that if you want a roach to replace crickets, lobsters are by far the fastest breeders. However everyone needs to use caution when feeding them if they do not want escapees. They are easy to contain in there bins, but once in your reptile cage they will find ways out if not hand or tong fed. Trust me I am not discouraging anybody. When I was breeding frilleds these where the perfect roach for my babies. They where so much easier than small crickets, but I will still recommend the non-climbers if you have the time to build a colony.
James

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:eek: Wow! No food or water, kept at 40F, and they still survived?! Amazing! I hand feed all of my herps, so I'm not worried about them escaping from the cages of the animals they're fed to.
I guess when you have lived on this planet for over 350 million years, you learn to adapt to many different situations. Thanks for the warning though, James. BTW, I am the one from Iowa that ordered a colony of 600+ Lobsters from you a little over a month ago. They are doing great, and I now have over 1,000 of the little buggers. Thank you very much!

laters,
Bill:D