Anyone know of a good Parrot forum?

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm looking for a good parrot forum so if you know of any please let me know about them please..
Last week I adopted a Timneh African Grey and her name is Delilah. She is around 20 or so years old and is an absolute sweetheart, but I kinda need a little help with her. Before I got her she had plucked out most of her belly feathers and she was starting to grow fuzzes back, not to concerned about it cause these birds have a rep for plucking the first sign of trouble. I have searched the web for info on them but you got to kinda take it all with a grain of salt, the biggest thing that bothers me with her is that she is always scratching herself, and she plucked out 4 feathers in the last two days. I know that its itchy when the feathers are growing back but she does it all over, so im watching her diet and bathing her every day and trying to get her to play but she doesn't seem to play all that much. I can hold her, pet and scratch her so I know that she feels safe with me and that she trusts me. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
http://forums.avianavenue.com

LOADED with very knowledgeable people. There's a huge number of bird rescue orgs on there as well, and many owners of rehomed birds, so there is ample experience for rescued birds with problems like plucking. In fact, I think they have a whole sub-forum devoted JUST to plucking. I can't reccomend this forum enough, it is excellent.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, there is a difference between molting and plucking. It is that time of year were a lot of birds molt their feathers. so while it may look like she is plucking she may not be. There are some physical cause of plucking like mites and mineral deficiencies. I strongly recommend taking her to a Avian vet (and not one that usually does just dogs and cats)

If she has pin feathers everywhere she is probably just molting.
Make sure she is eating a good pelted diet preferably higher in calcium. I prefer Pretty Bird African Special. She can also eat anything that you eat that is "good for you!" No junk food, or caffeine. No Chocolate and absolutely no Avocados (they are toxic to birds) Also make sure that she has new and challenging toys.

Parrots chew. offer her lots of destructible toys, and some interactive/puzzle toys. She will need lots of time with you but she will also need independent play time so that when you are not available she will amuse herself. If you see her quietly playing with a toy. LEAVE HER ALONE. stuff a sock in your mouth and sit on your hands.

Get a GOOD KEYED lock for her cage. She WILL open or destroy anything else.

When you are bathing her make sure it is JUST WATER. No soap, shampoo, conditioner or "No Plucking Spray".

If/when she bites you do not pull away! If she is on your hand or perch you are holding drop that hand down. She will let go to steady her self. If she is on something else shake it a little (some people call this the earthquake method).

Some Parrots can get a little territorial about their cages, if so let her come out first before picking her up.

The rule with all birds is if her eyes are higher than yours she is dominant over you. Don't let her dominate you!

PM any questions, I'm happy to help