meet Repete our parakeet

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok so i had a parakeet for 7 years named "Pete" he was an awsome bird. couldnt talk but was a total character. one day he passed of old age im assuming, well my friend knew how much i liked that bird so he went and bought me another one as a gift.

Her name is "Repete" lol, ive had her for about 3 years now, and she used to be really friendly untill she started layin eggs. I have tried to mate her but she killed 2 males. so now i have to suppliment her with calcium because she lays like crazy. we leave a few eggs with her so she doesnt lay as much but its still a continuous thing.

anyway here she is.

and no her wings are not clipped, she flies all over our house, but she like to stay on top of her cage for the most part.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aww, very cute :) I had a few when I was younger

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cool, snake food.
im going to pretend you didnt say that...:rolleyes:

one thing that bugs me is how much we have worke with her just for her to become very aggressive.

we used to be able to hold her and she was actually "playful" but ever since she has started laying, she is wicked mean.

and her bite hurts.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, I don't know anything about birds...... but did she really kill two males, or are you just making a joke referencing T mating?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, she really killed 2 males....not kidding.

we did it buy the book too.

we gradually introduced the male and female together. and after about a month we let the coincide together, all was going well and we thought they had mated when we came home to find she was perking him and he was dead.

it was kind of a bloody mess.

the second one we had a breeder give us advice and we followed it and eventually she killed that male too, in the same fashion as well. only he had his head bitten off.

the only reason i wanted to breed her is so she would have a clutch of fertile eggs so she would stop laying for the year(they lay once a year i was told)

the vet said if i didnt pair her she could die due to vitamin loss and calcium deficiency.

so now we have to spend 35 month on vitamin and cacium suppliments from the vet.

if we leave a few eggs in her cage in her nesting box she doesnt lay as often. but if you pull the eggs she will lay more to replace the lost eggs.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see. It happens, but I didn't know it happens with parakeets :? Seeing a pic of that small, harmless looking bird just made me wonder if you were joking or not lol.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im going to pretend you didnt say that...:rolleyes:

one thing that bugs me is how much we have worke with her just for her to become very aggressive.

we used to be able to hold her and she was actually "playful" but ever since she has started laying, she is wicked mean.

and her bite hurts.
it was a joke.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know;)

I was giving you a hard time back.

and "harmless"...you know the skin in between your index finger and your thumb?

well a while back she pieced it for me. i could literally put a paper clip through the hole.:eek:

she latched on and wouldnt let go. haha