Viper boa help!!!

Spiderkeeper61

Arachnopeon
Hi, have mostly T's and lizard's right now but looking at this viper boa at my local shop. If anybody has one of these can you get me some ideas on how you care for yours and are they as nasty as people say they are?? thanks for the help...

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Their temperament varies a great deal, and naturally, captive-bred animals are more likely to be handleable. MAKE SURE that before you plunk down any money, you actually SEE this animal eat a rodent, preferably a f/t rodent. Wild-caught imports of this species can be notoriously difficult to switch over from lizards to mice, and of course, many pet shops will swear that it's eating frozen/thawed mice when it's not. Like most Boids, they do require additional heat, so a heat lamp, or ceramic reptile heater, or an undertank heat mat, is a necessity. I know a few folks who keep these, and I've handled some and found them pretty nice, but they can be more of a challenge due to their eating habits than most commonly-kept Boas.

pitbulllady

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The post above pretty much covers it with these guys. Getting them to feed is the most difficult part. Past that, keeping the humidity seems to be an issue with some keepers. Make sure the cage is set up properly so that the snake stays humid, but not so much that you grow mold.