First Snake Shed Help

RatDrall

Arachnopeon
I am new to snakes (thanks to all who helped me set up my tank!) and have a Desert King snake, not fully grown yet but not a baby.

I was holding him today, and it felt like the wide scales on his tummy were crackling. I looked closer and he looks kind of grey, instead of normal glossy black. His eyes are kinda grey too, which I was told might mean an impending shed.

I was told to watch the temperature and humidity when he sheds. The temperature in his tank is pushing 80 degrees, and the humidity is 70 percent. I put a deeper tupperwear full of water in there, in addition to his water dish, in case he wants to soak.

Is there anything else I should be doing, or is it time to leave him alone to shed in peace?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am new to snakes (thanks to all who helped me set up my tank!) and have a Desert King snake, not fully grown yet but not a baby.

I was holding him today, and it felt like the wide scales on his tummy were crackling. I looked closer and he looks kind of grey, instead of normal glossy black. His eyes are kinda grey too, which I was told might mean an impending shed.

I was told to watch the temperature and humidity when he sheds. The temperature in his tank is pushing 80 degrees, and the humidity is 70 percent. I put a deeper tupperwear full of water in there, in addition to his water dish, in case he wants to soak.

Is there anything else I should be doing, or is it time to leave him alone to shed in peace?
No, just leave him alone. Most snakes do not like to be handled while in shed, and who can blame them? They build up a layer of fluid between the old skin and new one, to literally separate the two skins, and it's rather like having a water blister that covers your entire body. Needless to say, many snakes become snappy and irritable during this time. You do need to watch the humidity with Kings, as they, along with the Water Snakes, have a tendency to develop potentially-lethal skin infections if kept too humid. 70% humidity is probably OK during shedding, but with a L. splendida, I would probably try to keep things a bit more on the dryer side most of the time.

pitbulllady

bitzy1

Arachnosquire

first snake?? well the cloudy eyes means that it will soon shed there is a easy to remember term called "going into the blue" just to help it out some put some logs or rocks in its cage to help scratch off its skin once it begins the shedding process, if it has a hard time shedding (mine did) then get bowl of water just one or two degrees warmer and let your snake swin in it for a few seconds. then place her in her cage and it should help loosen the skin other then that your doing your part perfectly. oh and when snakes are in the blue you shouldnt handle since they can hardley see there is a chance of the snake freeking out or bitting beacause it cant see. also when your snake is shedding you shouldnt feed it until half of the body is done shedding. well hope i helped, enjoy:)
bitzy1

bitzy1

Arachnosquire
first snake?? well the cloudy eyes means that it will soon shed there is a easy to remember term called "going into the blue" just to help it out some put some logs or rocks in its cage to help scratch off its skin once it begins the shedding process, if it has a hard time shedding (mine did) then get bowl of water just one or two degrees warmer and let your snake swin in it for a few seconds. then place her in her cage and it should help loosen the skin other then that your doing your part perfectly. oh and when snakes are in the blue you shouldnt handle since they can hardley see there is a chance of the snake freeking out or bitting beacause it cant see. also when your snake is shedding you shouldnt feed it until half of the body is done shedding. well hope i helped, enjoy:)
bitzy1
oh and usually the king snakes are used to natural weather so you might want to google your temperature.