hamsters

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey i was wondering if anybody here has hamsters as pets. just curious to see if its very popular. i have a hamster;{D

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had one that died a couple years ago. I would like another, but the just don't have the space. My three box turtles take up with little aquarium space I have.

What kind do you have?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I HAD hamsters just a couple years ago. They were pretty cute but we got tired of critters that had naturally short lives. However, I had this one white dwarf hamster that lived about 5 or 6 years. Figures that our most evil rodent would live the longest. He was very territorial. If you stuck your hand in his cage he'd bite but if you got him into a container first and got him out of his cage he was an angel. :rolleyes:

I had a teddy bear hamster before him. Her name was Pikachu (I was about 12 years old I think). Sweet big ham.

My brother had a brown dwarf hamster that literally ran himself to death in the wheel. We shouldn't have let him have the wheel attached when he was using it more than an hour straight... :eek::(

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I always had hamsters growing up.

About 3 yrs ago, I bought a baby panda hamster, thought it would be fun to have another one. He just died last week, loved me, hated everyone else lol I would like to get another one sometime soon though.

8by8

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I was about 8-9 yrs old, I bought one that was on sell for $3.99. She had four babies a week later. Named them all Max.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We had one, his name was Pilgor. He was noisy, and I threatened to feed him to our ball python. So we got rid of him. We're clearly not mammal people.

Cass

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have to winter white hamsters. They are over two years old longest I have ever had any hamsters live :p

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had one that died a couple years ago. I would like another, but the just don't have the space. My three box turtles take up with little aquarium space I have.

What kind do you have?
i have a short hair hamster. named dora lol. love her to death. and shes fat{D

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a Teddy Bear (I think), she was HUGE! I named her Jabba, haha. She was such a cool pet. I've been eyeing the dwarf hamsters at Petsmart, but I hear they tend to be kinda mean. I'd like another nice one.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I deal with hamsters at one of my part time jobs and I can safely say of all the animals I deal with, hamsters have bitten me the most often. That includes snakes, lizards, rats and mice. The smaller dwarf hamsters are very bitey and fast making them hard to handle, but some of the larger golden hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus) that come in all sorts of colors and names (i.e. pandas) can be very nice and tame. Definitely go in the store and handle as many as you can and pick out the nicest one.

Last edited:

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I haven't had a whole lot of experience with hamsters. When I was a kid, someone gave us two male syrians. of course they fought, and so we gave one away immediately. after about three days of living in the garage (because my dad couldn't know about him- not even sure why my mom took him in considering her hatred for rodents), my brother left his cage open, and he was never seen again.

a few years ago, i decided i wanted one, and adopted one from craigslist. I loved that guy, but he died of old age after only two months, because he was already older when i got him.

then i brought home two dwarf girls from petco (owner surrenders- entire litter was brought in when i happened to be there, so i took the girls home figuring i could handle babies if they happened to be pregnant, which thankfully, they were not). One was nice, one was mean. After three weeks with no babies born, I found them a new home.

Then I took home another syrian, a mean female. She literally hissed, it was really cute. I got her slightly tame, and found her a new home. I like to do the rescue thing sometimes.

I want more. someday i'll have a small group of dwarfs or robos, and a big squishy syrian. I hate their short lifespans, though. Right now I have rats, and I think they make better pets than hamsters, but hamsters have their merits, so i like them too. I just don't have the space (or permission from the parents, but i've been known to work around that).

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Each hamster has a different personality and sometimes temperament merely depends on the amount of time taken with them. I don't keep rodents anymore but I bred the dwarf hamsters for quite a while. Each animal is different but almost every dwarf I bred turned out friendly (I guess because they were always used to human interaction). I did have one female that didn't like to be touched much though. I have seen many dwarfs with little interaction given to them that were what I like to call quite evil. Same for goldens, fancys, teddy bear, etc however. Dwarfs do tend to have a little flightier and nippier temperament but getting them from the right person could make a woorld of difference as well.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont stick ur fingers in the cage

if a hamster is in a cage. DONT STICK YOUR FINGERS IN!!!:8o:8o. i have actualy made that mistake more than once. with mine AND my friends hamster. those hamsters really got some chompers on em! the second time i made the mistake it was a pretty deep cut. for about a week after any type of pressure (picking somthing up) made it bleed. some people just dont learn lessons!:clap::clap::wall::wall: lol

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I bred hamsters for awhile, along with mice and rats too. I don't know what kind they were, but they were cuuute and fluffy! lol

A few of my babies... hmm, can I remember their names? Wheeler, Nolan... that's all I remember haha

I stopped breeding them, when I got tired of changing bedding.. but I miss having little fuzzies sometimes!

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bred hamsters for awhile, along with mice and rats too. I don't know what kind they were, but they were cuuute and fluffy! lol

I stopped breeding them, when I got tired of changing bedding.. but I miss having little fuzzies sometimes!
I like how the fuzzies suck on your fingers when they're in the cage... so cute:D at least my mice and hamsters did that

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a bit fat winter white hamster named Captain Paul Watson. I am not generally fond of hamsters and think he is a positively hideous animal, but he is MUCH nicer than my last few hamsters. I can pet him without getting mauled, which is a plus compared to Mikhail and B*tch on Wheel, both of which were positively dreadful animals.

Here's a blurry photo of the ugly wee beast.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had exactly 2 hamsters in my life. A vicious little....yeah when I was a kid named Pinky, we traded him for a pair of budgies. And then Peeko. i had him a few years ago, my grandma found him in the middle of the street. Sweetest hamster in the world, would never hurt a fly. We had to euthanize after about a year because he started to develope a ton of tumors :(

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had exactly 2 hamsters in my life. A vicious little....yeah when I was a kid named Pinky, we traded him for a pair of budgies. And then Peeko. i had him a few years ago, my grandma found him in the middle of the street. Sweetest hamster in the world, would never hurt a fly. We had to euthanize after about a year because he started to develope a ton of tumors :(
why was there a hamster in the street?:? was it wild or was it released

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why was there a hamster in the street?:? was it wild or was it released
released would be my guess. I'm fairly sure hamsters arn't native. I just know my grandma was driving down her street when she saw something brown run across the street, she stopped and checked and it was this little hamster.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a teddy bear hamster named goober when I was a kid, he was so sweet and oddly enough, smart. I have kept rats as well and I swear he was almost as smart as any rat I've had, he was special and I still miss him after all these years. :(