Qs to Budgett's frog owners

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How often must the water be changed? I'm currently changing all of mine every few days. I have a filter running on it, too. Even with no waste in the water why should the water be changed so often? I'm just looking for elaboration and there's hardly ANYthing about these frogs on the Net despite their apparent popularity apart from what you read in forums. I'm even posting this here because I tend to get faster answers than on the amphibian forum I usually visit.

Is there also any particular filter that should be used? Currently I've got an ordinary 10-gallon one. My frog hasn't eaten yet since being brought up from aevisation recently, but he produces large-sized wastes when he does though.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For any aquatic animal, the waste produces ammonia (which is toxic), which then gets broken down into nitrite (which is also toxic), and that finally gets broken down into nitrate (which is safer, but can affect the animal's health if allowed to accumulate for too long). It's a good idea to change the water each week or so because it can look very clear, but still be chock full of any of the compounds I mentioned above. In a tank that's had the frog in it for a while already (about a month or so), nitrates are the only one that should be present in the water. I don't mean to school you or anything, but those compounds are the main thing you have to worry about.

For a frog, really any filter would work. One just has to make sure that the current isn't too strong. Repofilters are good IMO, especially because they can operate in a lower level of water. I don't know what filter you're using, but most likely it's fine for the frog. I'm currently running an Aquaclear 20 in a tank with a couple of African Dwarf Frogs.

What I've heard regarding aquatic frogs, is that quieter filters are better. Noisy, defective filters can bother them because they have a sensitive lateral line system.

I hope this helps.