cane toads in new york?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Were cane toads ever introduced to New York? I went camping upstate NY and at night a very large toad crossed my path after a light rain, it was so fat it could not even hop it walked. It was the size of a small soccer ball and was light brown and had huge poison glands. It was big enough to swallow a small rat whole the mouth was very wide.

I was wondering if any other native species could fit this description?

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you didn't collect it? :D

a pic would help with id.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This was over 10 years ago no I never got a picture back then all I had was a disposable camera and at night it would have taken a horrible image.

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i too found a very large toad in upstate ny when i was younger. everyone i tell says it was just because i was young and everything seemed big but i swear it looked just like a rococo toad. only thing i can think of is an escaped or released pet.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feel that descriptions of unnaturally large animals like this have a lot to do with being ten years younger at night ;) Our natives can get pretty big, big enough to see huge to a young person. But I suppose there is always the possibility of an escaped or realeased exotic pet. They are not "introduced" in the sense of being established, however, if that is what you are asking. I don't believe they can handle our climate.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, it was definetly a big toad, and we had a soccer ball as a reference. It was a bit smaller than an adult soccer ball, which would be a very large toad.