Leopard Gecko Owners, unite!

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys. As a soon to be owner, I was just wondering how many of my fellow arachno-boarders find themselves in possession of these interesting little creatures. Care to share a photo or two of your LG or enclosure? I hope to get some ideas!

Matt

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys. As a soon to be owner, I was just wondering how many of my fellow arachno-boarders find themselves in possession of these interesting little creatures. Care to share a photo or two of your LG or enclosure? I hope to get some ideas!

Matt
I have one.. He is awesome.. I can take a picture of his enclosure & him in a bit for ya..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are some pictures...

Sorry if this is to many.. I got a little carried away.. :D

Here are some of Geico's Enclosure..

Top View..

Cool hide..

Warm & Humid hides.. Also his basking spot.. (He normally basks on top of his humid hide..)

His water dish.. His calcium dish is by his cool hide..

Now a couple pictures of Geico.. I have to say I love the patterns on him.. They are not the normal striped pattern like most LG's have.. (Thats the reason I picked him! :D)

Well that is my LG & his enclosure.. Hope this might give you some ideas if you like it..

P.S. He has the best personality! He is also very spoiled.. He wont eat nothing but meal worms.. Also he will only eat if he is being tong fed.. If I drop the meal worm in front of he he will follow the tongs out of the enclosure.. Wont even give the meal worm on the floor a second glance.. :D

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.S. He has the best personality! He is also very spoiled.. He wont eat nothing but meal worms.. Also he will only eat if he is being tong fed.. If I drop the meal worm in front of he he will follow the tongs out of the enclosure.. Wont even give the meal worm on the floor a second glance.. :D
My mom's two leopard geckos are the same. Her male will only eat mealworms, and the female will only eat mealworms and crickets. Neither of them will eat butterworms. The female comes out at the same time every morning and my mom will tong feed her some mealworms, and then she will go and sit in her humid hide all day. They're so boring, haha.

Cass

EDIT: I realized after I posted that tarantulas are also boring...but in the lizard kingdom - especially compared to our beardies and tokays...the leopard geckos are lame, haha.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very creative redneck,
the paper towel designs ad to your country character lol

how do you heat your geckos? i been thinking about hetting one for a while but never get to it.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My mom's two leopard geckos are the same. Her male will only eat mealworms, and the female will only eat mealworms and crickets. Neither of them will eat butterworms. The female comes out at the same time every morning and my mom will tong feed her some mealworms, and then she will go and sit in her humid hide all day. They're so boring, haha.

Cass

EDIT: I realized after I posted that tarantulas are also boring...but in the lizard kingdom - especially compared to our beardies and tokays...the leopard geckos are lame, haha.
They are very lame & boring.. But I can hold Geico let him on my shoulder & he wont go no where.. He just lays down and relaxes.. :D

Very creative redneck,
the paper towel designs ad to your country character lol

how do you heat your geckos? i been thinking about hetting one for a while but never get to it.
I got a heat mat that sits on top of his enclosure.. I place my colony of roaches on top of the heat mat.. I also keep him in the room with my T's.. The room temp. is 75F-85F night-day..

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine Will Eat Anything in Front of Them

I have fed groups of them over the years.....Just about every Insect, etc. to be thought of...Better that way. Some can develop "picky" eating behaviors,
Varies between individuals. Mealworms are very healthy for them....They do Not get as many of those, as other prey items :} - Jason

P.S. my set-up and pics, were just bumped in this section, if ya wanna look.

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, nice Leopard Gecko man! He looks alot like the one I'm picking up at the expo on Sunday (damn I wish we were closer so that they could "make nice"), but really a great job on the enclosure also! I was thinking of trying a mix of potting soil/coco fiber just because I love the stuff so darn much and I've got so much extra, but I'm afraid it may be a little much. What do you think?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, nice Leopard Gecko man! He looks alot like the one I'm picking up at the expo on Sunday (damn I wish we were closer so that they could "make nice"), but really a great job on the enclosure also! I was thinking of trying a mix of potting soil/coco fiber just because I love the stuff so darn much and I've got so much extra, but I'm afraid it may be a little much. What do you think?
I had used coco fibers once.. But.. I removed it because it was not dry enough.. Since I keep him in a serilite tub with holes drilled in it it dont have ALOT of vent.. So I stick with paper towels.. I might dry some fibers out and use it.. It looks alot better to me..

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are very lame & boring.. But I can hold Geico let him on my shoulder & he wont go no where.. He just lays down and relaxes.. :D
My mom's leos are so wriggly when you handle them, especially the female. My female beardie on the other hand, will sit on my chest for hours and just chill. She's a sweetie. We'll probably get a pair of leos when we have a house, but while space is limited, leos can wait. I'd rather use up the space with snakes, or cooler lizards, haha.

Cass

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My mom's leos are so wriggly when you handle them, especially the female. My female beardie on the other hand, will sit on my chest for hours and just chill. She's a sweetie. We'll probably get a pair of leos when we have a house, but while space is limited, leos can wait. I'd rather use up the space with snakes, or cooler lizards, haha.

Cass
I really want a beardy.. But I dont know if I am going to have enough time for him/her when I get a job.. I have read that they LOVE to be held.. If I get the job I am going after I will be working 12-16 hour days with very limited days off..

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I got a heat mat that sits on top of his enclosure.. I place my colony of roaches on top of the heat mat.. I also keep him in the room with my T's.. The room temp. is 75F-85F night-day..
some one said that underbelly heat is crucial.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some one said that underbelly heat is crucial.
The under belly? Like a heat mat for them to lay on? I dont know if that is a good idea.. I wouldnt want them to get burnt.. My best advice is to keep a heat lamp on top.. Maybe a heat mat on the side.. I cant honestly say if a heat mat under the tank is a good idea or not.. I choose not to..

I think they have to be kept warmer for their digestion.. But dont quote me.. I have not really done a lot of research on them.. I cant really find a good site for it..

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am not fond of leppies, and I think some of the genetic problems cropping up among the stock of irresponsible/profit-driven breeders are absolutely abhorrent. But have three since I do exotics rescue and well, no one seems to want to keep theirs despite their popularity.

Very nasty tempered female; given up because she wouldn't placidly ride around on her owner's shoulder (uhhh...)

Female abandoned in an apartment in really poor living conditions. Had six abcesses - just on her face. Probably part of why she's got kindof a weird looking head.

Male with severe neuro problems - stargazing, spinning, head bobbing, etc. - and bad vision. Here's the real kicker: despite this being a common genetic problem in his morph, he was bred.

Steve and I are working on a very nice custom enclosure with a background and other cool stuffs for the second female, and the male is so messed up that he can only handle a very minimalist enclosure (hides, tile, paper towel, and that's it). He can't even have a water bowl because he sometimes flips over (and did so head first into the water bowl the day I got him); I need to mist a corner and let him lap it off of the glass. The first female's set-up is a slate and sand-grout type dealy, not my nicest enclosure but my first attempt so I guess not awful?

(And yes, that is a red heat lamp instead of a heat mat. It heats up the dark tile below to the appropriate range for "belly heat," and also keeps one end of the tank warm for a gradient. Works just fine before anyone feels the need to rail ;) )

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my fiancee has 3 of them. ^^^ i don't like them and i make fun of her for having them. She hates them too but has a soft spot for animals that have been mistreated and/or abandoned. I have a soft spot for imagining watching my pixie frog swallowing one but she won't let me. and somehow i got tricked into building one a (so far) really cool looking custom background. sheesh. i am such a sucker for a pretty smile.

MD92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How would one go about finding a rescue in their area? ...Google is surprisingly inefficient.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You're right near Sean Casey Animal Rescue if you're in LI. They sometimes have leppies for adoption if that's what you're seeking.