Saltwater pond anyone?

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would it be possible to set up a pond for like koi but have saltwater fish in it instead? I saw some touch tanks that got the wheels turning in my head at the Georgia aqaurium.

John

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sure, but it would probably need to be indoor or possibly covered, rain and/or evaporation could probably rapidly change the salinity. Winter/summer extreme temperatures would probably limit what species as well. Cover those problems and the rest should be easy.

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Salt doesn't evaporate but if your water level goes up enough it could be diluted to a dangerously low level. Also if your level goes down enough the water will become too salty. I would say if your going to try this , use species of fish that can be found commonly in tide pools.

Edit: Rev beat me to the punch on this one. sorry for the same advice twice.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, if the pond floods you are going to kill your garden. I'd highly reccomend this be done indoors or in a tub pond type setting.

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just think a really nice saltwater fish tank can be made for the same amount of effort and you will actually be able to see your fish. But keep in mind I only have done freshwater tanks, saltwater can become very expensive and requires for the most part a more complex setup with a protein skimmer and stronger lights if your using living rock. If your dead set on a pond I would just make an elaborate koi pond with a lot of live plants and a waterfall or something.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sure, but it would probably need to be indoor or possibly covered, rain and/or evaporation could probably rapidly change the salinity. Winter/summer extreme temperatures would probably limit what species as well. Cover those problems and the rest should be easy.
I'd agree with this since the salty changes so much in our water levels on the coast. Sometimes you have higher levels, sometimes brackish, sometimes more fresh depending on rain fall, evaporation, and tide. If you closely monitor it just might work though with some very tolerant fish of course. I kinda hope you do it, it would defiantly be something neat to see. I'd try but never did salt water really and we flood too much.

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am mostly interested in anemones, seah horses, puffers, triggers, octapus, sharks , lion fish and rays. The thought of getting hit by a lion fish or a string ray is still unsetteling to me. I used to keep sea horses many years ago. Would an anemone tank be good for someone whos getting back into the hobby?

John

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my bro cried when he got stung by a sting ray... and he is about as tough as i am =P

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have seen pond type set ups in peoples homes and they don't really look good. you can't really see the animals in the pond from the surface like you imagine. with the filters pumping water, you get a ripple effect over the surface of the water making it difficult to see the animals. there is no way i would set one up out doors unless you have a serious cover over it. even then, you will need an automatic top off system to keep the water level and salinity in check. this would need to be hooked up to an RO system to keep nuritents down.

anemones, sea horses, octopus and sharks are all not in the beginier or getting back into the hobby category.

anemones need a tank that has been cycled for a while. at least a year. they also need a rocky set up where they can be somewhat blocked form water flow yet have just enough to make them sway. if you dont' have a set up like this, they can detach and float around the tank usually ending up behind the rocks, out of site.

sea horses require three feedings a day. usually live brine but some have been able to get them to eat frozen food. many available in the industry are wild caughts and do take well to frozen foods.

octopus are escape artist. i personally know how to prevent this but i am not going to share as i feel they dont' make good "pets". they cannot be sexed and females will die after their first breeding season weither they have mated or not. we had one at the lab/aquarium that we kept living for a few months after she had unfertile eggs but she eventually died.

sharks require large tanks with a lot of floor space. unless you are ready to get a 210 gallon tank with minimal decor, then sharks are not for you. there are some smaller sharks that could possibly be kept in smaller set ups but you are still looking at 100 plus gallons. and don't think "ill just buy a baby and keep it until it out grows the tank". this will happen in a matter of months. sharks grow fast during their first year of life for obvious reasons.

my suggestion is to stick with the more common and hardy fish. certain species of puffers will fall in this (sharp nose types) catergory but many will not. stay away from box puffers/spiny puffers aka bur fish. dog face puffers are hit and miss. triggers are hardy but you have to watch what you put with them. some are less aggressive such as the niger and blue jaw triggers. the others are pretty nasty and will pick on your fish unless you have an aggressive tank.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It is possible..And to have a good looking one!!!! the issue with this is it is at a HUGE expense...I have seen these in huge Garden shows and competitions....the issue with them is the person who had one that I talked to had an outbuilding made with Vats and so forth and many many gauges and meaters and all sorts of other stuff set up to make sure all the levals remain proper.All this ata rediculas expense..not to mention ther are not "kit" you would have to become very creative and mabey have the assistance of a saltwater specialest...

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A saltwater pond sounds ridiculously expensive. I just started up a 28G nano, and I've already spent close to two grand. :8o

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Go w/ a Bio-Cube 8, 14, & 29 gallon sizes

I have Bubbletip anenomes split in mine....and the True Perc clownfish *pair* are Perfectly happy and breeding!

Built in wet-dry.....Pretty, and easy to Maintain, w/ out extra equipment and expenses.
I have put about $500 worth of various corals, etc. in over the 1st year.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwyLeRxd_G0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwyLeRxd_G0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
- Jason

Last edited:

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have Bubbletip anenomes split in mine....and the True Perc clownfish *pair* are Perfectly happy and breeding!

Built in wet-dry.....Pretty, and easy to Maintain, w/ out extra equipment and expenses.
I have put about $500 worth of various corals, etc. in over the 1st year.

- Jason
Nice, I purchased a pair of true percula clowns last week and picked up a green bubble tip yesterday. Have your pair hosted the anemone? I have the 28g led cube from JBJ.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Changed her Tune!

Not @ 1st man.....OHhhhhhhh, so frustrating......She came from 100 gallon aquarium.....and into a 14 Bio-cube....I was worried, that was a little Cruel.

So....I watched her.....she bossed around two fish.

I got a LTC bubble.....that does Not look that green in Pics...But is. It had split from others in a *nice* reef.....there were like 4 -or- 5.
In about 5 - 6 months....It split.......1 Fire Shrimp and 1 Trochus Snail 10 crabs also.

Oh - that's right....I was gonna say: It took her a few weeks to go in......I forced/coaxed her.......and then she was Fine...and Happy. Added male
about 4 months later - It was love at 1st sight :p they each share Anenomes.
I expect slightly larger Anenome to SPLIT again by this early Summer :D - JJ

Last edited:

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah reef tanks can be money pits!! i had the 12 gallon cube for a while but went bigger with a 30 gal.

clowns are great!! i have a maroon that hosts in a hammer coral. my perc did that too when i had it in a 15 gal reef.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree it would be ridiculously expensive..but that was not the question...The question as I understood it was would it be possible?

A saltwater pond sounds ridiculously expensive. I just started up a 28G nano, and I've already spent close to two grand. :8o

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah reef tanks can be money pits!! i had the 12 gallon cube for a while but went bigger with a 30 gal.

clowns are great!! i have a maroon that hosts in a hammer coral. my perc did that too when i had it in a 15 gal reef.
I actually preffer Maroons......especially Gold-bandeds. True-Percs are like the kids favorite Movie though :razz::razz:

I agree it would be ridiculously expensive..but that was not the question...The question as I understood it was would it be possible?
It is possible......That's what Tom Cruise would say......just challenging and costly :D This message....Will SELF-DESTRUCT in 5 seconds {D
Miss ya Danielle :p

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it is possible. the Waikiki Aquarium has one that has corals and clams all out in the open with no roof over it. they use a flow through so there is a huge difference there. if you had a $10k or more to spend, you could have a really nice set up that is near maintenance free. IMO though, it would not be worth it as the animals might be hard to see but if you took that same money and put it into a aquarium, the possiblities would be endless.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"Lord Knows I am We-eeak, Won't some-body get me off of this...REEF"

it is possible. the Waikiki Aquarium has one that has corals and clams all out in the open with no roof over it.
That sounds So *nice* :razz: I wanna go to Hawaii, and watch chameleons Too! - Jason

Last edited: