looks like my mantis is nearing the end

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got her out tonight in a failed attempt to scare my room mate's girlfriend (i guess she isn't scared of bugs, unfortunately for me).

my mantis was a lot more sluggish and her legs didn't seem to be working right. i've had her well over a month which is a lot longer than i expected though. its really too bad they don't live for a while. she has been a lot of fun.

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, 'tis the season. My guy I found in July started getting weaker last month, less energy, spending less time hanging on the lid, eating less. The tips of his claws turned black. He was lying on his back the other day clearly dying so I put him out of his misery. It was kinda sad - he was way cool. I shoulda let him free a couple months ago when he was flying around the cage looking for a girlfriend. Oh well, at least he got to eat well even if he didn't get laid (then again, not all that great for a male mantis anyway). In my opinion, that's the only bummer about mantises, that they only live a few months.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
There are several species of exotic mantids that can live up to a year or slightly more after becoming adult. Hierodula spp., Sphodromantis spp., Phyllocrania paradoxa, Parasphendale spp., and probably others I have not mentioned.