best of the best dog food?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok so there are tons of mixed reviews on dog food!:eek:

we just became dog owners about a month ago(short haired dachshund) and we have bee feeding her nutro, natural choice brand dog food.

so i was doing a search and came upon a website stating that nutro didnt pull there product when all the dog food's were recalled a while back. and that scares me.

i want a dog food i know will be safe regardless, and i want one that will catch a mistake like the recall 2 or 3 years back.

im not sure if nutro changed anything but apparently it was due to the wheat they used...i bu the chicken and rice. which has no wheat. i dont know, maybe they changed there recipe since then.

i am just not wanting my dog to die because of what i feed her. i would feel terrible.

i have heard some decent things about "Orijen" brand food...anyone heard of it?

if not what have you found to be the"best of the best"

and have any of you fed "nutro natural choice" if so what are your thoughts on it?

i used to think stuff like beniful, eukanuba, pedigree...ect was good. ha shows what i knew.

i was actually surprised to find that eukanuba brand was bad too...i have heard horrible reviews on it yet when my dad bred labs for hunting dogs thats all he fed.

anyway, i would just like to know what the best of the best is.

thank you

Cody Kerr

oh and also is there anything i can do for bad breath? we got her some chews, but they leave a white residue on her and the carpet. and she will not let us brush her teeth!

Rockstarpets

Arachnopeon
My rule with dog food is if you've heard of it, there is a better option. Nutro is not terrible, but not particularly good for the steep price. I feed Premium Edge, but it is what I consider best bang for the buck, not best overall. I have also fed Avoderm and I can say it feeds better than it reads. I really like Taste of the Wild as well and recomend it frequently.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A list of good foods:
Innova
Canidea
Blue Buffalo
Taste of the Wild
Solid Gold

I have fed innova and solid gold. Solid gold has a food called Wee bits that is awesome for small dogs, though I now feed Solid Gold-Barking at the Moon, as it is very high in protein, and gluten free (40 or so percent protein)

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ This site rates different dog foods Take a look!

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ok so there are tons of mixed reviews on dog food!:eek:

we just became dog owners about a month ago(short haired dachshund) and we have bee feeding her nutro, natural choice brand dog food.

so i was doing a search and came upon a website stating that nutro didnt pull there product when all the dog food's were recalled a while back. and that scares me.

i want a dog food i know will be safe regardless, and i want one that will catch a mistake like the recall 2 or 3 years back.

im not sure if nutro changed anything but apparently it was due to the wheat they used...i bu the chicken and rice. which has no wheat. i dont know, maybe they changed there recipe since then.

i am just not wanting my dog to die because of what i feed her. i would feel terrible.

i have heard some decent things about "Orijen" brand food...anyone heard of it?

if not what have you found to be the"best of the best"

and have any of you fed "nutro natural choice" if so what are your thoughts on it?

i used to think stuff like beniful, eukanuba, pedigree...ect was good. ha shows what i knew.

i was actually surprised to find that eukanuba brand was bad too...i have heard horrible reviews on it yet when my dad bred labs for hunting dogs thats all he fed.

anyway, i would just like to know what the best of the best is.

thank you

Cody Kerr

oh and also is there anything i can do for bad breath? we got her some chews, but they leave a white residue on her and the carpet. and she will not let us brush her teeth!
As for dog food they all have cons and pros. Dry dog food helps keep stuff from building up on teeth but it's mostly all trash for the most part when you read what is in it. The homemade diet is expensive too. I usually feed Purina Puppy and Imes adult to adults. But both have bi products but the Shepherd is eating some kinda cheaper stuff with other things added cause we had heck finding something she could eat without getting sick. On homemade diet she threw up chicken.

If you were closer and she was calm enough to do it on, I'd find my stuff and do it for you but may have to take her to the vet to have the tarter removed and cleaned if it is bad. If it's not bad chew stuff works great no rawhide it splinters. Find knuckle bones and greenies. Pigs ears are good too they love those. We used to sell this stuff you put in their water and it sort of worked but I forget the name of it. I wanna say it was in a yellow or white bottle and had a dog smiling on the front. I haven't found it online yet and if I go back up there I'll try to remember to get the name of it. It helped after several months to get the crude off an old Bichon's teeth we used to groom. We gave them a bottle since we got a free sample of it. It helped, not perfect, but it helped break it up so we started selling it.

Rockstarpets

Arachnopeon
You actually have to be careful about giving dachsunds too much protien. They also benefit from higher glucosamine levels to help prevent joint issues due to the excess pressure on their hips from their unique body shape.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
see there isnt any tartar build up, and her teeth are in great shape and clean. its her breath! i know it isnt supposed to smell great but i dont like the smell of poop breath.LOL

we just got some "dentastix" and so far they are helping, at least from what i can tell so far.

as far as food goes though. is what i am feeding her good enough?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
so i tried to just take a picture, but it came out unreadable. so i looked and found this.

this is the ingredients with a guaranteed analysis of whats in it.

Here

let me know what you all think.

thanks.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Get your butt off of your computer chair and produce some photos of the dog while you're at it! :rolleyes:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL Cirith, these have been posted here before but she is asleep right now and i dont want to wake her up. she goes to the vet tomorrow.

these are about a month old, and belive it or not she has grown quite a bit bigger.

i will say, she is the best snuggle dog ever. if im in bed she will get right up there. and curl up next to my pillow.(our bed is very low)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The BEST of the BEST - is raw.

No kibble can compare to a balanced raw meal!

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ahh for some reason I was thinking an older dog and about an hour later remembered you had got a puppy a little while back. duhh.

If not tarter not sure what to tell you cause I can't smell what you consider bad breath. lol. ;) I don't exactly smell mines mouth no matter how clean their mouth is just because my mind set is you licked your butt don't get in my face. lol. Sorry I don't care how much you brush I don't wanna know what that smells like.

Rick & Brandy

Arachnopeon
Royal Canin

(I swear by this food, I use the Bulldog formula)
I have English Bulldogs, they have sensative skin and so on, I have tried ALL the "best foods" and everything recomended by the vets. I HIGHLY recomend you try ROYAL CANIN They make a special food related specificaly to each breeds individual needs! Our Bulldogs don't even fart anymore!! (anyone who has been around one will tell you they can clear a room in a quick hurry!!) And yes it is expensive, but well worthy it! With only the one little dog, probably won't be so bad. Hope it works as good for your little one!

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For bad breath- there are a ton of products out there for it. I had puppy breath mints for awhile, but im not sure if they helped. My girl had a bad habit of eating...her own poo, so her breath could be RANK, luckily, she outgrew it :)