Aboreal snake question for ATB, ETB, and GTP

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have been considering for some time either an Amazon Tree Boa, an Emerald Tree Boa, or a Green Tree Python. I'm still doing my homework but just thought I'd ask some keepers their opinions of the three. Now while all three could be handled I don't plain on handling it. I'd like to have a nice happy display over something I take out and play with. I'm more looking at and considering a neonate or juvie over an adult because I'd like to watch it grow up and continue learning about it over breeding. Maybe one day I'll breed reptiles but right now I'm just not that fascinated in it. I thought about using my modified Exo or building something else. I have an Exo with a bunch of tree frogs that is right on target for care of all three and the one next to it really isn't being used. It wont last too long as it grows but I'm not sure if I will even use it. Price really isn't the big concern. The big concern is killing it for the price. Also about what size hook do you guys recommend I need one anyway for a pissy King that hates hands in her tank. Out is fine in it is a witch. {D

Opinions, concerns, and/or advice?

Amazon Tree Boa: Basically from reading I gather they are more hardy and cheaper. But sadly I'm not crazy about color. I did kinda liked the Halloween phase till I read they grow out of it and grow into a normal color. :wall:

Emerald Tree Boa: Just plain pretty going from yellow to green. Finding a neonate or juvie hasn't proved easy though. I found one fairly close to the size I want at 18" and looks like it stuck it's nose in yellow paint. LOL. I can't find neonates are at least smaller though. :(

Green Tree Python: I am absolutely nuts about the yellow and red neonates even though they grow out of it, but read they are more delicate.

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A Emerald tree boa or Green Tree python are tough to raise. If they are WC adults with internal issues, it will take an act of god for you to keep them alive over time.

I know a breeder of green tree pythons, and I've seen him attempt to get the whole lot of them to feed on pinkies and they all refused. Lizards might be taken more easily..

But anyway, many of the keepers sell for decent$, and often you can get a cheaper price on them if the snake isn't guaranteed to eat. Know what I mean? If the snake never eats and ends up dying, you are out the cost of the animals.

I would go Amazon, and hopefully not wc. there should be enough colors that you can find close to what you are looking for? You could also look at vine snakes? But they can be tricky as well.

If I had more time and space, I might consider a brown tree snake.. which is mildly venomous.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Pretty much anything I get would have to be captive bred. Looking at breeders sites to hopefully avoid wild caught. Taking my time going with quality over the price. I do worry about ending up with a stubborn eater though.

Any venomous is out for now. Between city ordinance and my kids are too involved with everything I do. Granted I am grateful my daughter isn't scared and enjoys being down in the herp room but getting her out is more a pain than keeping her in and teaching what is is allowed and not allowed to get close too.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Why dont you get a red/orange or yellow ATB?

Now see that is pretty. Everything I keep finding is labeled "garden" or "Halloween". I would rather get the ATB for hardiness but finding a real looker in the size I want is the big hick up. Google gives me more care sheets than anything. I mean granted I know colors fade and change but I do wanna look in the tank and go wow. Then when I do see one I like it says SOLD. :wall:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This breeder has the most amazing ATBs around. Truly outstanding. Also very expensive and hard to get. I'm sure if you asked, you might be able to get on a waiting list for this years offspring.

http://www.ghireptiles.com/

When it comes to GTPs, they have a bad reputation for being difficult to care for. Enough progress has been made that keeping a CB GTP can be easily done by any snake keeper willing to put in the effort. Purchase the complete chondro by Greg Maxwell, read it through and you'll be ready for your own neonate GTP. Just make sure you buy a CB snake that is already an established feeder. Also, buy directly from a breeder. The vast majority of neo GTPs are CH imports. They are much cheaper but also aren't guaranteed to be feeding. Breeding GTPs is still a difficult endeavor with a high failure percentage, but just keeping one as a pet is no longer difficult.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Purchase the complete chondro by Greg Maxwell, read it through and you'll be ready for your own neonate GTP.
I have been on his site for like 2 days just reading on his site, with a few books on order but I just saw where he is no longer breeding, selling, and making cages. Man, figures. LOL. Thanks for all the info guys. Putting it on hold even longer till I finish these. Appreciate all the input too.

dirty munky

Arachnopeon
I have all three species the GTP is my favorite but all have been fairly easy to maintain. Buy CB and you should have no problem feeding f/t mice or rats. The most important thing is humidity I mist every morning allowing the cage to dry during the day to prevent mold growth and provide a large h20 bowl and you should be fine. GTPs should be fed smaller meals to prevent prolapse other than that they all make great additions to any collection. All of mine can be held but get nippy every once in a while.

bitzy1

Arachnosquire
I have been considering for some time either an Amazon Tree Boa, an Emerald Tree Boa, or a Green Tree Python. I'm still doing my homework but just thought I'd ask some keepers their opinions of the three. Now while all three could be handled I don't plain on handling it. I'd like to have a nice happy display over something I take out and play with. I'm more looking at and considering a neonate or juvie over an adult because I'd like to watch it grow up and continue learning about it over breeding. Maybe one day I'll breed reptiles but right now I'm just not that fascinated in it. I thought about using my modified Exo or building something else. I have an Exo with a bunch of tree frogs that is right on target for care of all three and the one next to it really isn't being used. It wont last too long as it grows but I'm not sure if I will even use it. Price really isn't the big concern. The big concern is killing it for the price. Also about what size hook do you guys recommend I need one anyway for a pissy King that hates hands in her tank. Out is fine in it is a witch. {D

Opinions, concerns, and/or advice?

Amazon Tree Boa: Basically from reading I gather they are more hardy and cheaper. But sadly I'm not crazy about color. I did kinda liked the Halloween phase till I read they grow out of it and grow into a normal color. :wall:

Emerald Tree Boa: Just plain pretty going from yellow to green. Finding a neonate or juvie hasn't proved easy though. I found one fairly close to the size I want at 18" and looks like it stuck it's nose in yellow paint. LOL. I can't find neonates are at least smaller though. :(

Green Tree Python: I am absolutely nuts about the yellow and red neonates even though they grow out of it, but read they are more delicate.
green tree pythons are one of my favorites but emerald tree boas are to die for. i would suggest not to get a snake at all IF you are not going to handle. how would you like being in a cage all day? just like us snakes need to strech their mucsles.:) also dont forget to put some tree and rainforest theme in the cage, they are climbers!

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah whatever/if I get one of them I will be going all out on the cage. Custom build like all my others something along the lines of 6' tall x 3' wide and deep when it's ready for it's final home. I just can't help but like the GTP and ETB but we'll see not like I am in that big a hurry either. I still gotta get my bad attitude Tegu's ultimate built too.

bitzy1

Arachnosquire
Yeah whatever/if I get one of them I will be going all out on the cage. Custom build like all my others something along the lines of 6' tall x 3' wide and deep when it's ready for it's final home. I just can't help but like the GTP and ETB but we'll see not like I am in that big a hurry either. I still gotta get my bad attitude Tegu's ultimate built too.
i understand sounds like its gunna be a pretty cool cage:) enjoy keep me updated on what snake your going to get. thnx
bitzy1

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
6X3 is way too big. most breeders reccomend a 3 wide X 2 tall X 2 deep. if you buy a slightly older cb GTP you should be fine with them feeding and they will be a bit more hardy after 1 year of age. i keep mine in a 2x2x2 PVC cage heated with a proproducts heat pannel and mist 1 to 2 times a week. i got her as a hatchling and she is 3 years old now. a super tall cage is hard to heat and the animal will only use a small portion of it.

when i first got her:

one from a few months ago. she has change significatly sence then.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
6X3 is way too big. most breeders reccomend a 3 wide X 2 tall X 2 deep. if you buy a slightly older cb GTP you should be fine with them feeding and they will be a bit more hardy after 1 year of age. i keep mine in a 2x2x2 PVC cage heated with a proproducts heat pannel and mist 1 to 2 times a week. i got her as a hatchling and she is 3 years old now. a super tall cage is hard to heat and the animal will only use a small portion of it.
I forget who told me to build that tall but I was doing some reading where most said the same thing on enclosure size, so glad I made that statement. I had planed to be building that big just in case but heating that did seem like a problem. Also heard the same out of several people that they don't really use up much as far as space even in the 3' enclosures. The more I read the more comfortable I am getting with the idea of it.

I even had this elaborate enclosure built in my head and the more I read the more I am understanding simple is better. :rolleyes: Man I never get to build something elaborate. LOL. Well I guess I can remodel the frogs and a T since my snakes are always simple. LOL. The exo is out after seeing just how humid it needs to be. It does build up quite as much as it needs to. Close but not enough. The plastic bins seem to be the best option for now.

I understand that the Fak, Wamena, Jayapura, Aru are supposed to be locations but how do you go about finding one that when it grows up it will more than likely be green with white lighting blots. I don't mean to sound picky as I like them all but I haven't found what I am looking for to answer that question of what the basic idea of what all that location means as far as color if anything.
Forgive me but I am am trying to absorb too much at once and haven't grasped color morphs and locations yet. Ball pythons threw me for a total loop. Books are on order but not here. These are kind of how I like the adults but the blue and all green (ok all of them) are pretty too. http://adevereaux.artspan.com/show-image/99533/Amy-Devereaux/Green-Tree-Python.jpg but babies that both of you posted. Edit> Opps I found that answer sorry.

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know why that says it's a green tree python, cuz it's an emerald tree boa.

For the location-types, Jayapura/Sorong tend to have more bluish highlights, Biak have mottled yellow, Aru are lime green with white spots down the spine and bluish sides. Most CB specimens are a mix of different locality types. If you're looking for a particular type, it's probably best to buy offspring of animals that you like. Going that route will probably cost a lot of money, as many selectively bred GTPs can run you a few thousand bucks easy.

Be careful of people advertising "Jayapura" or "Wamena" for cheap (less that $300). These are typically CH offspring. For your first GTP you really want to buy directly from a breeder. It'll cost more, but you'll be guaranteed a healthy feeding animal.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't know why that says it's a green tree python, cuz it's an emerald tree boa.
Figures :wall:

Be careful of people advertising "Jayapura" or "Wamena" for cheap (less that $300). These are typically CH offspring. For your first GTP you really want to buy directly from a breeder. It'll cost more, but you'll be guaranteed a healthy feeding animal.
Will do. Yes some of the advertisements I ran across searching for info and prices seemed very shady even to me.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my cage is semi elaborate (see below). there is a new movement among some keepers with using a bioactive substrate with live plants in them. they look really nice!! the cage i have isn't deep enough by the door to allow for that or else i would go that route. another keeper by the name of greg stephens has very "simple" set ups and has amazing animals.

as for locales, most of the kingsnake ads are for CH babies. they are ok but it isn't a good route for your first GTP. even though they are captive hatched, they can come with problems similar to a wild caught animal. these animals are farmed in Indo then shipped here. many breeders will have US captive born locale type animals that have come from WC parents from the past. by that i mean that some breeders are working with blood lines dating back for many, many years. there is more and more outcrossing though and some of the outcrossed animals are amazing.

my suggestion would be to buy a yearling from a good breeder. the animal will be established and can tolerate minor mis-haps with husbandry far better than a hatchling. check out http://moreliaviridis.yuku.com/. this is where many top breeders, including the ones mentioned above, share experiences, sell animals and answer questions reguarding GTP.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my cage is semi elaborate (see below). there is a new movement among some keepers with using a bioactive substrate with live plants in them. they look really nice!! the cage i have isn't deep enough by the door to allow for that or else i would go that route. another keeper by the name of greg stephens has very "simple" set ups and has amazing animals.

as for locales, most of the kingsnake ads are for CH babies. they are ok but it isn't a good route for your first GTP. even though they are captive hatched, they can come with problems similar to a wild caught animal. these animals are farmed in Indo then shipped here. many breeders will have US captive born locale type animals that have come from WC parents from the past. by that i mean that some breeders are working with blood lines dating back for many, many years. there is more and more outcrossing though and some of the outcrossed animals are amazing.

my suggestion would be to buy a yearling from a good breeder. the animal will be established and can tolerate minor mis-haps with husbandry far better than a hatchling. check out http://moreliaviridis.yuku.com/. this is where many top breeders, including the ones mentioned above, share experiences, sell animals and answer questions reguarding GTP.

Thanks. Google is so bogged down with junk and care sheets it makes it hard to locate breeders. I tried using Kingsnakes to locate a breeder but after doing some investigating into wait what does that mean I learned about things like Bushmasters which made quite a few of them non-appealing for a first. Love the setup. The burned PVC turned out nice looking looks like real wood.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the site i listed has animals for sale that are not bushmaster animals. they are USCB animals. there are some true breeders that will list on kingsnake but not too many.

a really helpful way (and i learned most of my stuff about GTP this way) is to buy the more complete chondro by greg maxwell. it has information on just about everything for these animals. its written well and is very helpful.