Crested Gecko

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am thinking about getting one.. I went to Petco to get some mealworms for my Leapord Gecko.. They had some Crested Geckos.. Nice green colors.. One of them was red.. They are asking $49.99 for them.. Is that a good price? The one I picked up that I am thinking of getting was like a tan/green color.. He/She got on my hand and just sat there and let me pet him/her.. He/She was a cutie!!

Know any good sites for a care sheet?

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They aren't the pick of the litter as far as color/pattern. but they are usually bulk buys from commercial breeders.. they make excellent pets and even indulge in human contact without too much negativity.. room temp usually fine and the powdered diet easy to get a hold of..

i got one from there as my first as he turned out to be a wonderful little guy with a great personality.

Pick of the litters with great color and patterns will run you 100+
and run of the mill like 25$+ (then you figure shipping) still sometimes at petco you can find a nice specimen

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Considering shipping is roughly $25 you are paying the same price if you are only ordering one (usually 25-30 for a lower grade baby).

You can easily keep them at room temps 70-75 mist twice daily or as needed depending on your climate. Then just give them fresh crested gecko diet every other day. You can feed them dusted crickets once a week (more or less as a treat) You do not have to do this though since the CGD has all of their required nutrition.

Give them lots of climbing room with plenty of plants for them to hide in. Substrate as a baby or juvies is best as paper towels that way you don't have to worry about impaction. When they are adult sized you can use dirt if you prefer.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I picked him/her up today!!

So here are the pictures.. His/Her name is Sushi.. :D

I am not sure what the term "fired up" means.. But I believe this is him/her "fired up"...

Here is his/her enclosure.. :D

Here is ther water dish.. I got a hole carved in the foam so it sits in it..

I got the food dish sitting on the floor of the enclosure.. I have not quite figured out how to mix the CGD the right way yet.. I was told to mix in some baby food with the CGD.. Not sure if that right though..

I added a humid hide at the bottom of the enclosure to.. Here is the final look of his/her enclosure... What do yall think?

Well sorry for so many pictures.. I am super excited to have him/her! :D
Let me know what you think about the enclosure.. Any tips are welcome..
Thanks for Looking! :D

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice Aquisition Bubba!

I like to keep them a little more Moist than that......But your cage set-up, etc. was well done :clap: My only advice is 2 keep an eye on Fruit/baby food Molding.........I remember having to change it almost Every day.....and rotating baby food in fridge.....then supplementing w/ variety of insects... :}

Other than that - I "feel" that they are the Easiest of Geckos/Reptiles to take care of, and Breed = No heating, no special lighting, etc. They do like to hide Under something in the day.

GL - Jason

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice setup and crestie. I just add water to the cgd until it is the thickness I want it.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
The amount of CGD filling up that food dish is about 30 times what they should be fed every other day.

Make sure the to completely clean out the food dish in the morning. The consistency of the CGD is comparable to that of melted ice-cream or a milk-shake. Remember to refrigerate any extra liquid-form CGD.

Also mist the enclosure daily.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like to keep them a little more Moist than that......But your cage set-up, etc. was well done :clap: My only advice is 2 keep an eye on Fruit/baby food Molding.........I remember having to change it almost Every day.....and rotating baby food in fridge.....then supplementing w/ variety of insects... :}

Other than that - I "feel" that they are the Easiest of Geckos/Reptiles to take care of, and Breed = No heating, no special lighting, etc. They do like to hide Under something in the day.

GL - Jason
Thanks bud! My sister and her husband went and bought them one soon as I said I was going to.. :rolleyes: Thats ok I guess.. I beat them to the one I wanted! :D Thanks for the advice! :D

Nice setup and crestie. I just add water to the cgd until it is the thickness I want it.
Thanks man! :cool:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The amount of CGD filling up that food dish is about 30 times what they should be fed every other day.

Make sure the to completely clean out the food dish in the morning. The consistency of the CGD is comparable to that of melted ice-cream or a milk-shake. Remember to refrigerate any extra liquid-form CGD.

Also mist the enclosure daily.
Sorry for not responding to you.. I didnt realize you had posted.. Should a table spoon of the CGD be enough every other day? Thanks for the tip.. I am fixing to remove the food now and clean it out.. When I got the little guy/gal they had small mealworms in a bowl..

Insects to feed.. Will mealworms, small crickets, waxworms, or roaches be all the insects I need?

I cant seem to get the little guy to take a mealworm.. Should I just place them in a bowl like the petstore did?

Also.. I seen a video on youtube of a crestie eating what looked to be an earth worm.. Can they eat worms that are used as bait for fishing or is that a bad idea?

*Edit* Misting.. Should I go ahead and add coconut fibers as the substrate to help the humidity or does it look like my gecko is to small for that?

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for not responding to you.. I didnt realize you had posted.. Should a table spoon of the CGD be enough every other day? Thanks for the tip.. I am fixing to remove the food now and clean it out.. When I got the little guy/gal they had small mealworms in a bowl..

Insects to feed.. Will mealworms, small crickets, waxworms, or roaches be all the insects I need?

I cant seem to get the little guy to take a mealworm.. Should I just place them in a bowl like the petstore did?

Also.. I seen a video on youtube of a crestie eating what looked to be an earth worm.. Can they eat worms that are used as bait for fishing or is that a bad idea?

*Edit* Misting.. Should I go ahead and add coconut fibers as the substrate to help the humidity or does it look like my gecko is to small for that?
To be honest you don't need any insects if you are using the CGD its at your discretion (some geckos won't even eat insects.) Placing them in a bowl would be great so you can keep track of what your gecko is eating. Also they are nocturnal more than likely you won't see your gecko eating.

I have heard of people trying to feed earthworms though I personally do not know anything about it. There is a thread somewhere on the pangea forums you may want to look into.

I would hold off on any substrate other than paper towels regardless of size when you first buy a new gecko. This is important because you can monitor them to see if they are defecating when using paper towels.

Also if you do change the substrate later on definitely use a bowl for insects so your gecko doesn't ingest any dirt. Most importantly don't forget to dust them with Calcium with D3.

Edit: enough to fill a milk cap would be plenty CGD.

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be honest you don't need any insects if you are using the CGD its at your discretion (some geckos won't even eat insects.) Placing them in a bowl would be great so you can keep track of what your gecko is eating. Also they are nocturnal more than likely you won't see your gecko eating.

I have heard of people trying to feed earthworms though I personally do not know anything about it. There is a thread somewhere on the pangea forums you may want to look into.

I would hold off on any substrate other than paper towels regardless of size when you first buy a new gecko. This is important because you can monitor them to see if they are defecating when using paper towels.

Also if you do change the substrate later on definitely use a bowl for insects so your gecko doesn't ingest any dirt. Most importantly don't forget to dust them with Calcium with D3.

Edit: enough to fill a milk cap would be plenty CGD.
Thanks.. I will stick with feed him/her CGD and not worry about feeding insects right now.. I will also keep him/her on paper towels..

Pangea Reptiles.. I cant seem to navigate their website.. Maybe I should take a little time to find the forum on there.. :eek:

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
beautiful coloring, more so what i like.
this is my petco male. 39.99 on sale... unsexed at the time and pores were hard to see but those "balls" started to show after about 3-4 months.
his name is spike.
This is not fired (generally, lighter.. not darker)

And fired

and this is an 80$ sexed female from a local petstore
again, she was almost adult size when purchased.
fired.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bazzgazm those are gorgeous!! I am hoping I have a female.. If not maybe I will be ok with a male! :D Either way after I know what I have I am thinking about trying to breed them.. I think I found a new addiction to go along with my T's! :D

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Tommy.Im not sure about the size of your gecko,but it looks like a female to me.Also like someone else said .That is way too much food..Nice one tho.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Tommy.Im not sure about the size of your gecko,but it looks like a female to me.Also like someone else said .That is way too much food..Nice one tho.
She (Hopefully!) is about 4.5-5 inches.. The food I went ahead and removed the deli cup that I had in there for the food.. I mixed up some new CGD.. Now there is a small bottle cap with CGD in it... She took to eating some of it earlier.. YaY!! :D Thanks for the advice! :D

*edit* As far as weight.. I dont know how much she weighs.. I dont have a repti-scale.. LoL!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sushi is awesome!! :D I got im to eat straight from a spoon! {D He ate quite a bit for being so small.. That is if they are not like a grow kid!! :D

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She (Hopefully!) is about 4.5-5 inches.. The food I went ahead and removed the deli cup that I had in there for the food.. I mixed up some new CGD.. Now there is a small bottle cap with CGD in it... She took to eating some of it earlier.. YaY!! :D Thanks for the advice! :D

*edit* As far as weight.. I dont know how much she weighs.. I dont have a repti-scale.. LoL!
Try target I bought a pretty nice food scale that measures in grams and ounces for about $30. It weighs up to 7lbs I believe so you can use it for most other herps too.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try target I bought a pretty nice food scale that measures in grams and ounces for about $30. It weighs up to 7lbs I believe so you can use it for most other herps too.
Thanks! I will go look into getting one.. I dont think I really need it right now.. But in due time I wil get one..