What could it be no.2

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have no idea but your carpet is just like the one in my spider room.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you not learned anything of late steve, "you cant identify a spider from a picture" LOLOL

My guess would be "big brown spider" LOL

Havent a clue,wheres it from

:D :) =D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
I have no idea but your carpet is just like the one in my spider room.
Sorry to be off topic but thought it was funny, same carpet in my bug room too! Coincidence? :? Crazy stuff.

sidenote: mature male C. brachycephalis

Atrax

p.s. Selenocosmia maybe? No idea what species though.

Attachments

Last edited:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think it's a African Giant Goliath Starburst Brown Cricket Eater. Not sure on the scientific name though :)

Jim B.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say Lelle was closest, it does resemble Coremiocnemis, but it isn't ;) It's Selenotypus plumipes. I believe this may be the only real pic of this species around. I had incorrectly ID'd another spider as S.plumipes on my site. I'll make the changes shortly.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know it looks a little plain in the pic but believe me, this species is the Australian holy grail of T's. It is the largest Australian species and is beautiful when in postmoult. The spider becomes black with bright red setae all over, stunning.

I cannot tell you guys how much cash I spent and how many times I took long journeys to find this species. I have the original description here and trekked out numerous times there until I realised they were no longer found at that locality, cane farming had destroyed all coastal populations (along with populations of a Urodacus sp. scorpion . Rob Raven gave me a "good" location out west, so off I went. All I obtained on that trip was a dried specimen from the Department of Primary Industries entomologist. Obtained another location from Doug Wallace (of the Rockhampton Arachnological Society, wonderful man), went out and found that Doug had incorrectly ID'd Selenocosmia stirlingi as S.plumipes.

Finally, here it is, wheww!

Some of you may be interested to know that this is the spider known to feast on baby chicks, it has been documented and photographed, so it's no tale (I have the rellevant articles). Visgoli's (or however you spell his name, it was a crap book anyway) book mentions them on the back page, but he incorrectly called them a Selenocosmia sp.

Cheers,
Steve

P.S. Gary and Leon, that's not my carpet, LOL. Although I do thankyou for the intimate insight into your spider room decor :D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cheers for the insight Steve.
You going to work on breeding and legally exporting this one? It'll be really nice to get Australian species into the hobby :)

I was really surprised how tight Australian import and export laws are. A friend of mine recently spent a few months in Australia (lots of Welsh people have relatives in Australia or go travelling there) and customs wouldn't even let her mother send her a Pepperami! (For those who don't know what a Pepperami is, it's errr a smoked sausage type thing)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
Cheers for the insight Steve.
You going to work on breeding and legally exporting this one? It'll be really nice to get Australian species into the hobby :)
Yes, I will be, but this species will take over 6 years from now to get over there, I have to show second generation breeding capability before I can.

Keep an eye out for other species first ;)

Steve