Sort of a generic question regarding instar growth and seperation etc

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Eggs with legs is 1st instar, right? You do nothing with them as far as food... then they molt into slings at 2nd instar and begin to eat correct? How long can they all stay together... through what instar? This is obviously a general question as I assume it may differ with species...

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
With all the folks in here mating their T's I know someone can answer me:)

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
"Eggs with legs" are not considered (by most folks anyway) as first instar, but yes you don't feed them. They molt into first instar and you still do nothing. They molt again into second instar. Now feed away!

NOTE- Some people have observed and photographed slings that appear to be feeding on undeveloped eggs in stages prior to second instar, but I have not personally witnessed this.

John

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by JP version 1.0
"Eggs with legs" are not considered (by most folks anyway) as first instar, but yes you don't feed them. They molt into first instar and you still do nothing. They molt again into second instar. Now feed away!

NOTE- Some people have observed and photographed slings that appear to be feeding on undeveloped eggs in stages prior to second instar, but I have not personally witnessed this.

John
Ahhh... well in that case. I have a 1st instar A.insubtillis (1/8"-1/4")which has eaten to date 1 cricket head and two cricket legs...?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Deliverme314
Ahhh... well in that case. I have a 1st instar A.insubtillis (1/8"-1/4")which has eaten to date 1 cricket head and two cricket legs...?
1st instar are very hyperactive, but don't actually require any food. They do however have formed fangs, abdominal hair and so on, but are generally still soft and white/yellow coloured.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Deliverme314
:?

Where did you acquire a 1st instar spider?

Jon

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought the eggs with legs was nymph 1 stage, and after the molt (still not eating) was nymph 2 stage, and when they become spiderlings (eating) was 1st instar?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
>First...Egg/embryo
>The egg/embryo then sheds what's know as the chorion and is known as the postembryo.Since the chorion is not shed by the developing spider but rather just the egg itself it's not considered a molt.The egg then developes the spider which eventually produces an exoskeleton.It can then have a true molt.
>First molt from there is known as first instar and so on...peace..

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That makes more sense sense I believe I got it as a first instar but I could be dreaming... so that answers all but one question... until what instar can they be kept together generaly?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spiders can be kept together with no problems until the 2nd instar. Once they his 2nd instar, they can be kept together for a very small amount of time, as they will eventually start to cannabalize each other.

The 2nd instar stage is when they would be full fledged spiderlings. Arachnodealers don't sell anything younger than a 2nd instar tarantula.

Jon

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
p.s. You will find at least one arachnodealer that likes to refer to 2nd instar spiders 1st instar. This isn't a matter of trying to mislead the customer. It is really just a misunderstanding of proper names of the stages of development.

Jon

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Right on. Thanks a lot. This was just for my general knowledge as eventually I want to try my hand at breeding... Im also still trying to figure out which arboreal I will be attempting my communal tank with... going back and forth between P.formosa and A.Versicolor...

Formosa's get to about 6" right? How many gallons do you suppose 5 would need?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would go for the cheaper of the two species -- A. avicularia that is.

Jon

p.s. In regards to the question of aquarium size, if I was to do the communal think with 5 spiders, I would go for at least a 50 gal.

JBoyer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All the reading that I have done on A. versicolor suggests that they CAN NOT be kept communily. Are you thinking of Avic. avic?

Jennifer

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No I was wanting to experiment with something iother than A.Avic. To see if Slings from the same sac coulf be raised communaly... this was all discussed in another thread...