Water

eleven_68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Our T's tank substrate is drying out faster than we can rewet it. The peat is starting to crack and form dry clumps. Is there anything I can do to stop it? Or should this be happening?

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow, youve left alot to speculate man. COuld you give some set up info? Lighting, size, etc.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If its drying out faster than you can wet it, then you most be really slow. ;P J/K
On my tanks I need to keep moist, I just add water down the sides, and let it soak in. After a while you'll find how much you need to add and when.
Like they say, " If it is to be, its up to me " ;)

Ernie

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
And on the flip side, just what kind of T is this tank for. If you look around you'll see that many experienced keepers opt for bone dry tanks for almost all species because it avoids problems with fungus, mites, and flies.

No juvenile/adult in my care gets anything more than the occasional mild flood w/ mist to simulate a little rain and the tanks are dry the rest of the time. I rely on water dishes to keep the Ts hydrated and disregard any of the largely erroneous ideas that moisture and humidity are requirements except for the possible exceptions of certain genera (Megaphobema, Pamphobeteus, younger Theraphosa, etc.).

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with CM, bone dry substrate and a large water dish will supply enough moisture for most species.

But, always watch the body language of your T's. You can usually tell what their needs are just by looking at them.

- If they're hanging out by their water dish it is too dry for them.

- Climbing the sides of the container could mean you're keeping them too moist or they haven't settled in yet or they're arboreal :)

- If they are scrunched up in the corner they may be getting ready to molt or they're stressed out because there's too much light, not liking the substrate, or not having a hide. Burrowing species will act this way if they aren't given the opportunity to burrow.

Once you start watching them you'll see that they'll tell you if their not happy with their home or if you're doing everything right.

Jim B.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I have been told and read peat can be a pain to re-wet once it dries out too far

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, I agree with CM, most of my substrates are dry with a constantly full water dish available.

Andy