Are C. fimbriatus inbred?

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My C. fimbriatus molted out male so I sent him to Todd Gearheart. I do miss the little critter because he was so nice-looking. I would like to buy another sling but if everything goes well, I might have more than enough in the future. Are the C. fimbriatus inbred? If I buy a sub-adult female, how likely is she to be closely related to the possible offspring of my male C. fimbriatus? I realize that imbreeding among Ts _may_ not be detrimental, but it's obviously preferable to avoid that if possible.

Karen N.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keeping arcurate charts of breeding bloodlines is a good idea because of this sort f thing, It helps keep inbreeding to a minimum if it exists at all. Better to be safe then sorry. Breeding charts are one of the few charts I actualy keep because I find it fairly important

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I supsect that most species that are commonly captive bred are inbred to one degree or another. The real question is whether inbreeding really is an issue with Ts or not. While Rick West likes to point to a single experiement he did with successive sibling crosses back in his younger days that inbreeding is a negative, I find his experiment to be inherently flawed in that barring the possibility of mating a male back to its mother or an older half-sister, the type of inbreeding that is likely to occur is cousin and half-cousin type crossings and there's no data to support there is a problem with this.

Many invertebrate species form large populations of genetically similar specimens without issue so I find it unlikely that tarantulas are any different.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have seen adult and sub-adult P.regalis and P.formosa that are the product of mother/son eggsacs and so on. Perfectly healthy.

Don't forget that P.rufilata, P.smithi, P.subfusca, P.irminia, A.geniculata and so on are all quite "inbred" these days.