P. Murinus "RCF" gender-question

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello folks,

I got lucky yesterday and managed to take a picture of my P. Murinus as it was sitting on one of the slide-doors of its vivarium.

Now to the Big quesion,

Can anyone tell if it's a male or a female here? I bought it unsexed, and I'm not experienced enough to tell :)

Sitting on glass Another one Yet another one

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

Stupid question but what does "RCF" stand for in the subject heading???

:confused:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
looks like a girl to me, judging from sceloterization (lipped appearance of epigastric furrow) and distance of anterior booklungs. i think RCF stands for "red color form"?

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lycanthrope: Sounds good!

"RCF" stands for "Red color form", that's correct.

Anyone else think it's a female?

/Dave

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would say that you have a little girl there.

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would also say, that you have a little cute girl...

greetings
T.R

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Time for one more question,

The spider in the picture has begun building a nest up in the far corner of the enclosure. I'm aware that this specie lays out alot of silk everywhere. How do you manage cleaning his made burrow without destroying it? Or do they poop outside the burrow?

/Dave

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
get used to the burrow mine rarely come out of theirs. They will typically clean the burrow by bringing junk outside. They also do not poop in the burrow in my experiance they take that out side also. I guess what I am saying is to leave the burrow be and keep the rest clean, that is her safe place. This is just what I have done with the 3 I have. I have never had a threat posture or even any defensive moves as long as they can retreat to the safty of the burrow/hide.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
ONe of mine built her "home" the same way you are describing and she keeps it very clean. She constantly replaces old and deteriorating webbing with new and fresh stuff. She'll take care of it form the most part. Occasionally she gets tired of living there and will spend a day in her terrestrial summer home then go back to her same old grind in the top corner. BTW...mine will not hesitate to strick at the top of the enclosure when my hand passes over or touches it...and the fangs DO come out of the screen! :D

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
One more thing...
Out of the 20 or so times I have elected to drop a cricket directly into her nest, she has only eaten it twice. The rest of the time she nails it as a threat and it drops out. I prefer to let her go hunting at night.