Quick question/favour to ask....

Status
Not open for further replies.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,

Could I ask some of you to supply me with some quick conversions of sizes please? i.e. roughly what are the dimensions (in inches LxWxD) of a 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon, 10 gallon etc tanks?

I ask because in England I never see these references, yet on websites, forums and other things they seem to be in abundance; gallon seems the 'standard' measurement as oppose to the primitive inch scheme I'm associated with...

I'm aware that gallon indicates volume, but just some breif examples would be highly appreicated so I can get a vague idea...

Thanks very much

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
Hi all,

Could I ask some of you to supply me with some quick conversions of sizes please? i.e. roughly what are the dimensions (in inches LxWxD) of a 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon, 10 gallon etc tanks?
I just went to google and searched for:
2.5 gallon tank dimensions

And I got a whole page full of relavent results. Did you really look for the answer yet?

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Quick question/favour to ask....

Originally posted by jesses
I just went to google and searched for:
2.5 gallon tank dimensions

And I got a whole page full of relavent results. Did you really look for the answer yet?
No I didn't, I thought this may be beneficial to others or something. I didn't claim I'd looked for the answers, besides, why can't I use this forum as a primary research tool? If it annoys you that much, don't bother replying for a start, or better yet, put me on 'ignore'

If I wanted a side-helping of cockiness I'd of asked for it, or I'm sure there are thousands of googles for that too

EDIT: Cheers for the link! Highly useful

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Quick question/favour to ask....

Indeed. I also have been wanting this but to lazy to look. So thank you defiler for making this intutive post for all us slackers:D

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Ahem ...

Yeah, uh ... KEEP IT NICE guys or mommy will have to punish you. ;)

Debby

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Quick question/favour to ask....

No I didn't, I thought this may be beneficial to others or something. I didn't claim I'd looked for the answers, besides, why can't I use this forum as a primary research tool? If it annoys you that much, don't bother replying for a start, or better yet, put me on 'ignore'

If I wanted a side-helping of cockiness I'd of asked for it, or I'm sure there are thousands of googles for that too

You weren't using the forum as a research tool, you posted a message asking other people to get information for you that you could have gotten yourself. I was simply pointing out that going to google and putting in your search results would have given you your answers in much less time than it would take for someone to read your post, do a google search, and give you back the answers. Now, armed with this Internet-searching-ability, you will be able to find out anything you want without having to wait for other people to do it for you. Where's the gratitude?

As for the side-helping of cockiness, let me be the first to welcome to the Internet!

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thank you for posting as i gave me a reason to measure my tanks.

10 gallon tank
length =20 inches
width =10 inches
height =12 inches

20 gallon "tall" tank
length = 24 inches
width = 12.5 inches
height = 16.5 inches

i hope this helps i assume that a 5 gallon is half of the 10 gallon and the 2.5 half of that. so here is my info to share.

to jesses: not everyone has heard of google and some other search engines are a bit harder to get the desired results. i think this forum is the perfect place to post questions pertaining to the hobby even if the information can be found elsewhere.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Quick question/favour to ask....

Originally posted by jesses
You weren't using the forum as a research tool, you posted a message asking other people to get information for you that you could have gotten yourself. I was simply pointing out that going to google and putting in your search results would have given you your answers in much less time than it would take for someone to read your post, do a google search, and give you back the answers. Now, armed with this Internet-searching-ability, you will be able to find out anything you want without having to wait for other people to do it for you. Where's the gratitude?

As for the side-helping of cockiness, let me be the first to welcome to the Internet!
Have you heard of the terms "Primary" and "Secondary" Research? If not, you can use your magical essence-of-google to realise which one 'field data' i.e. directly asking those with the knowledge, as oppose to looking for existing data is.

Of course I know of google, but I much prefer the information supplied by the members on here... Plus it's benefitted a few others

Thanks for the help people!

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also apreciated this infomation. Have tried searching with google but did'nt realy find anything very usefull

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh one more thing deifiler, anyone correct me if im wrong but think U S gallon is different to UK one :?
sorry but i am right 12 gallon here equals 14 gallon there unless they have changed lately :D

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hah good point wayne, I was also under that impression... I forgot to add that in the original post!

I'm just replying to your PM now :D

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
deifiler: i didnt mean to offend you when i stated that some people may not have heard of google. i was trying to point out the fact that the statement jesses made was rather...well IMO uncalled for. sorry if i offended.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by krtrman
deifiler: i didnt mean to offend you when i stated that some people may not have heard of google. i was trying to point out the fact that the statement jesses made was rather...well IMO uncalled for. sorry if i offended.
This whole thread wouldn't exist if defiler went to google and searched for what he was trying to find. Blah blah blah, I have the last word.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Jesses: Is this realy worth it making so much trouble out of someone making a simple question? Some of us on the forum found this info usefull so what's your problem?

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Additional generic "search the web" comment! ;P

Seriously though, if you've got the web know-how to join and post in this forum, I would ASSUME you would know how to use a search engine. Especially for "objective" information like 12-gallon tank dimenstions.

If it's important enough to pass it on to the hobbiest community, do the research and make a post. It seems lazy to post and make somebody else actually do the research.:cool:

<adds fuel to fire>

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Re: Ahem ...

Originally posted by Satanika
Yeah, uh ... KEEP IT NICE guys or mommy will have to punish you. ;)

Debby
Now can anyone tell me which part of this sentence they did not understand??

Can we please stop being so trivial? Let's move past this people.

Please do not make me grumpy, I CAN get mean ..... :eek:

;P

Debby

Status
Not open for further replies.