When do P.Regalis Mature?

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was wondering at what size does a Female and a Male P.Regalis Mature because we have a female hopefully soon coming upon maturity and I think we have a possible immature 2.75" Male P.Regalis. Just a wondering question :)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got mine as a 12mm spiderling in late October 2002, it matured as a male on August 17th.

So the male in my case was under a year!

I've also an adult female that 'matured' (As in it stop growing with moults; it's at the final size) in two years. Admitidly, it's not quite the 8" beast I've read some regalis get to, however.

Hope that helps!

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I believe the females mature at around 4",I remember reading somewhere that it maybe as small as 3" sometimes.Not sure about males,but you just have to wait with males as there is nothing you can do until they get their equipment!

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have noticed with the females I have that are obviously mature that their growth slows down A LOT and their abdomen quits shrinking after they molt. I think these are 2 possible signs that they are mature. But, there has been a lot of talk about them being capable of breeding at a much smaller size.

That being said all of the gravid wild caught T's that I have heard about were near full grown. So maybe they can reproduce at a younger age, but they don't for whatever reason.

Jim B.

Tstorm

Arachnopeon
I have raised a 1" P. fasciata to adult female in just over 18 months.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All Poecilotheria spp. have short life spans (12-15 months for male maturation;
14-18 months for female maturation with an average postadult female age of 60-85 months)
  • U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, International Affairs
    CONVENTION ON INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN ENDANGERED SPECIES
    OF WILD FAUNA AND FLORA

Amendments to Appendices I and II of CITES
    Eleventh Meeting of the Conference of the Parties

Nairobi (Kenya), April 10-20, 2000

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
On this note, is there anyone on the list that has had a female Poecilotheria for its entire lifespan? If the lifespan is short, hopefully someone can provide some additional information.
Thanks!
Ralph