The many shades of G.rosea

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought it would be interesting to contrast the brown and red phases of G. rosea. I also included a coppery individual.

Group shot....

Attachments

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
they didnt mind getting so close to eachother?

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
they didnt mind getting so close to eachother?
That's why that shot didn't come out as well as it could have. I was very quick and careful.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd think that the only difference between the last 2 is how long ago they molted. My older female looked just like the third pic before her molt now she's looks just like number 2.

Or do you have a unique individual there?

Jim B.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
I'd think that the only difference between the last 2 is how long ago they molted. My older female looked just like the third pic before her molt now she's looks just like number 2.

Or do you have a unique individual there?

Jim B.
Actually the 3rd one molted more recently than the second one. I don't think any of them are due to molt any time soon. Both of those have been in my collection for a long time and they really maintain a distinct color difference. It is definitely not a molt issue in this case. I would not call any of them unique becaue I have seen (as well as own) others that look like each of them- I just picked out three of the prettier ones for the pic.

You do raise an interesting point though. The sticky on G roseas on this board describes 3 color phases of this spider whereas most people only mention either brown or red. Obviously the reds represent one phase. I personally could break my "browns" into 2 groups by hue with my pictures #2 and 3 as representatives of each group. Does anyone else have any info or ideas concerning this?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I also have 2 distinct different 'brown' ones. One of my browns has a very pinkish rosy carapace, and it stays like that no matter where he is in his molt cycle. He's a juvie male. I have 2 adult females as brown as dirt :)
And a red phase mature male.
I see 3 distinct colors as well.....

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So three different color phases of rosea? I never knew that. I guess my 2 are the coppery phase, but do lose the coppery color on their carapace after while.

I would really like a red phase. So perty :)

Jim B.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally, I've never had a pink form turn brown; my red phases always turn a kind of burnt orange/brown color, like your second shot, after 3-4 months.

Adrian