Chaco sling eating a big cricket

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I can already see the docile and calm temperment in her that these guys are known for. She's no where near as skittish as the other slings I have.

Okay, this pic is a bad example :D

Attachments

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my chaco sling is great too. it is a monster when i drop in a cricket. it has a darkened legs and is ready to molt again. i cant wait till it gets some more color.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
**goes back and remember when my sling was that small** Its only 1" to 1.25" now :) I can't wait till she/he gets bigger and also i can't wait till Seven (my juv) get full grown.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
What a cutie!! This is becoming one of my very favorite species!!

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have only witnessed one molt with her so far, and have no idea on the growth rate on these guys. I'm assuming being a Grammastola it would be slower growing like a Rosie.

How fast have your guys' grown?

Jim B.

And that's a beast you got there Miz M! Great colors too. Love the gold.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
These are only approximations:

Male, purchased June 2002 as 1.5" sling, now about 3"-3.25"
Unsexed, purchased October 2002 as 1/2" slings, now about 1"-1.25"
Unsexed, purchased June 2003 as 1/4" sling, now almost 1/2".

It's a steady but slower growth rate, definitley on par with my other Grammostola slings (pulchra & alticeps).

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Great pictures guys! But MizM, I don't guess your girl participated in the Great American Smoke-Out yesterday did she? Looks pretty possessive of her Marls there... At least she's smoking lights ;)

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Shucks, oh well.

I have enough fast growers to appreciate the ones that like to take their time. I just want to see some color on this little guy.

Thanks for the numbers CM.

Jim B.

So, I wonder how old that would make Miz M's Chaco? I'm assuming it's wild caught, right?

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
Great pictures guys! But MizM, I don't guess your girl participated in the Great American Smoke-Out yesterday did she? Looks pretty possessive of her Marls there... At least she's smoking lights ;)
LOL Mendi! Actually, she was trying to push them off the table... she HATES it when I smoke!! Yes, she was a LTC WC I got from Krazy 8s at the last Pomona show. She's healthy as a horse, eats like a pig, and cuddly as a teddy bear! I'm in LOVE!!!!

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is a pic of one of a group that I got as 2nd instar slings in December of last year. This pic was taken today.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
LOL Mendi! Actually, she was trying to push them off the table... she HATES it when I smoke!!
<snip>
I need to get one that does that trick... and threat posture when I reach for one :8o

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
I need to get one that does that trick... and threat posture when I reach for one :8o
Mendi, you're a genius! Great smoking cessation plan! "Touch that cigarette pack and an Orange Bitey Thing will jump on you, bite you, and you will suffer severe pain and cramps for one week! Well, go ahead, have a cig!!";)

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
This girl molted a week ago and has been eating like a pig since :)
>>That's great when you get a sling that will take down large crickets like that.Makes feeding time much easier...no messing with pinheads or having to prekill/mame the food and makes for less feedings.They fill up quite nicely on a large meal like that and can go longer between feedings....peace..

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Mendi, you're a genius! Great smoking cessation plan! "Touch that cigarette pack and an Orange Bitey Thing will jump on you, bite you, and you will suffer severe pain and cramps for one week! Well, go ahead, have a cig!!";)
And then flips over on it's back knashing it's fangs. OBTs might get a bit better a rep being used an anti-smoking animal :D

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome pic!! My Chaco is about 1" now, can't wait for adult size!!

Andy

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: Chaco sling eating a big cricket

Originally posted by pelo
>>That's great when you get a sling that will take down large crickets like that.Makes feeding time much easier...no messing with pinheads or having to prekill/mame the food and makes for less feedings.They fill up quite nicely on a large meal like that and can go longer between feedings....peace..
I hate pinheads. The smallest I buy are usually mediums and then there's usually a dozen or so smalls mixed in, which is usually enough for the number of spiderlings I have.

My Curly was a little scared of this guy at first then the next time I looked in I saw him like this:

Attachments

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I hate to be the nagging voice of nay-saying.. but be careful with those huge crickets. I had a P. cambridgei sling that would destroy anything on contact, and it NEVER had a problem eating crix twice it's size. Then, one day, I fed it, it tackled the cricket as usual.. I walked away.. and eight hours later there is a dead spider being chewed on by an only slightly agitated looking cricket.

Bill