Let me out! Let me out!

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I occasionally hold my g. rosea, since she is generally very placid and has never once acted cranky, though I am always cautious, and prepared to receive a bite.

I don't hold her especially often, but sometimes when I open the container, she'll start to climb out - which is quite easy for her as her substrate is high to prevent falls. So I'll offer her my hand and she'll walk right out. Sometimes she just sits there, with her pedipalps and forelegs wrapped around the underside of my hand, and sometimes she goes for a walk on my arm, or on an old towel in my lap.

Eventually, of course, I decide to put her back, and I've noticed that sometimes, particularly if she has been actively exploring a little more, she seems to wander around the perimeter of her container after I put her back. She keeps feeling the place where the lid joins with her forelegs and pedipalps - almost as if she knows that it used to be open, and she's closed up inside again.

Sometimes I'll come back after doing whatever it is, and if she's still wandering and I open the lid, she'll come right out again. Other times, she relaxes, as if she's satisfied with her "walkies" for the moment.

I know that she is not really brilliant, and I don't want to anthropomorphosize her, but it really does seem like she knows she was somewhere else before, and wants to go back to wherever she was.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Greensleeves

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Completely! I have noticed it with more than one of my T's. They do seem to posess a decent short term memory and seem cognisent of the fact that "hey it opens up there". I had an Usambara sling ...about 1" at the time escape and was on her neighbors house...when I put her back she ran right back up to the corner she had escaped from to try again. It was pretty funny. They do seem to get a decent feel for the ins and out of their surrroundings....now get back to writing!!

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my little rose hair does this often she does becuase she likes to be held i think,she comes right out on my hand and sits my other 2 are pretty aggressive, so i wont hold them.

Josh

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my rosie "Norbert" loves to get out evry now and then as well. esp. when it is cleaning day. he walks up my outstretched hand up to my shoulder and sits. then we watch the simpsons and then he crawls down to my lap and wants to go back to his room. my other rosies no likey so much