H. maculata question

oxbaker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 3" H. maculata that seems to think that molting on its side is a right snappy idea. It's molted 3 times since I've owned it and every time it does it on its side (no matter how much open space is around it). I know that it's not a good thing for it to do but I don't want to mess around with it when it's in such a fragile state (not to mention that I don't really want to be bitten). Is this a normal peculiarity with this species? Any advice on what to do when the situation arises once more?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just let it do it's own thing when molting..whether it molts upright,sideways or upside down.Although molting upside down is the most common way..sideways and upright happen frequently also and they make it through just fine.Just do as if it were upside down...leave it alone and let nature take it's course.One shouldn't interfere with the molting process unless you are "absolutely" sure something's wrong and can help remedy...peace..

>>also it's an aboreal...definitely not uncommon for aboreals to molt sideways

Last edited:

oxbaker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool - thanks. It's the first arboreal tarantula I've kept so I didn't really know what to expect when it molted. I just know the horror stories I've heard about terrestrials molting in odd positions and I don't want the thing to die or be maimed when it could've been prevented easily.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The molts seem to have gone fine so far. Let it do it's thing naturally.

Andy

oxbaker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No worries, I didn't plan on touching it anyway. I figured I'd ask before it got too big because I wasn't sure if weight would become an issue and cause complications in the future.

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

Anyone know if there are any care-sheets awailible for this spider.
I have looked but couldn't find any.
I'm mostly after how much humidity it wants and what temperatures.

/Dave

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
H.maculata is easy to care for and hardy.60-80% RH and temps from 72-85 dgrs and it will do fine.It'll tolerate a wide range of conditions..peace..

oxbaker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm actually surprised at how hardy these guys are. I thought they'd need much more humidity than they actually do. I was also taken aback by how fast they are - gone in the blink of an eye.

The one caresheet listed above mentions putting live plants in with it. I wanted to do this from the start but I posted on a couple other boards asking for safe plants to use (since many create their own pesticides) and was lambasted for even thinking of doing it.

Last edited: