fruitflies in NOVEMBER?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well, I have a fruitfly invasion. I dont know if they can hurt the T's or not, but they have to be annoying. I dont see ANYTHING in the containers to attract the fruitflies...buttttttt, yay...its 930 pm and I get to clean containers and change substrate.
darn pests.
I guess you know you are out of the loop (ie; OLD) when, instead of going out on a Saturday night you wash Tarantula cages. *sigh*

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've noticed an increase in the number of gnats and other pests around my cages since the temps have cooled down here. Its not in numbers that I feel are a danger to my Ts but enough to be annoying.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
We've got them here too. Not in or around the cages, but all over my apartment. My girlfriend is fanatical about cleaning things, and I can't figure out where the hell they are coming from. I've been unable to catch one to get a good close up look at it to determine, but I don't believe mine are phorid flies. Don't phorid flies usually prefer to run around instead of fly?

Bill

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes they do tend to "scuttle" instead of "fly" so maybe they shoud be called scuttle crawls instead...(oh boy am i tired) any piece of rotting flesh of any kind. animal, vegetable, insect...whatever will attract scuttle flies. garbage with a rotting cricket is always the source for me. maybe even an old exuvia? check under the fridge or stove for a small piece of food that escaped notice. sometimes even a bag of chips or something you brought home could be the source. you can catch them by placing a piece of meat in a container on the counter and then tossing it away in the outside trash everyday. just a thought

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yuck. I dunno now.

How can you tell the difference between them and fruitflies?
I changed the substrate in all the containers, fresh water dishes, everything.
Then..I told my kid to clean his room. hahahaha. He is notorious for leaving wrappers, and the infamous cups with a ml of koolaid, pop, juice etc at the bottom in his room.

So, whichever they were, they are gone now.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got a infestation with crickets I bought at wal mart. I couldn't keep those crickets alive . So I no longer buy crickets at wal mart. I bet these flys offten come with the nasty crickets. Because before I started keeping T's I have never seen them in my house. So my guess is if your haveing problems with these outbreaks all the time, try getting rid of those already in the home. Then start buying your crickets some place else. I've had no outbreaks at all with pet marts crickets.