b. smithi sling in pre-molt

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just looked in on my t's and noticed that the usually yellowish abdomen of my b. smithi sling has turned to a much darker color, almost being black. this will be its first molt in my care and im very excited.

on another note, my a. avic has not eaten since i got it. i got her about two or three weeks ago and she has not shown any interest in food whatsoever. she may be in pre molt, but im still a little concern. i have tried hand feeding using the tweezers and also tried just letting the cricket roam the cage. if anyone has an idea other than pre molt, i would be very interested in your opinion. thanks for the help in advance.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She could be in premolt or just not hungry yet. I wouldn't worry about her yet if she is still as fat when you got her.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have noticed my Avicularia's having long pre-molt periods. Mine have gone off feed for up to 3 months before a molt.

But, these were with likely adult females at around 4 inches +.

How big is yours?

Jim B.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my smithi molted about a month ago and its in pre molt now to i reckon it will molt maybe during thanksgiving:? :confused:
so i can't wait post some pics when urs molts.
mike

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
palespider -
mine is about 4" when stretched out. she is just as fat as when i bought her.

longboard -
no digicam just yet. im trying to get one for x-mas.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
New Guy -

If it's 4", it's probably just a lengthy pre-molt. Has it constructed a tube web? If so, has it sealed up the entrances?

If that's the case, I'd say you have NOTHING to worry about. :cool:

Plus - if you just got it a few weeks ago, it might still be settling in. W/several of my species, i've noticed a decent period between re-housing/re-arrangement/re-substrating their enclosures and their interest in food. It's like they're too stressed to worry about eating for a while.

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it has started to make the bottom of what looks like a funnel web in her plant/tree. she has also made a little web area at the top. neither of the two are very big in size or have much shape to them. the guy at petco said that all of the t's were eating every night and that she always finished her meal. im sure that its not something serious and that im just a concerned parent. thanks for the info/help.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think you're just a concerned parent ;)

I would:

Keep giving it food ever few days, removing if not eaten w/in 24 hrs. - as well as ensure fresh water (or at least a full waterdish).

If it's getting ready to molt, I'd suspect it will really get to webbing the heck out of its plant / the top of it's cage, and probably seal itself in.

If it's just stressed from the move, I'll bet its eating again in a few days :D

DarkRAM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mines pretty dark as well. Its just a little over and 1" in size. It hasnt ate anything since Monday when I got it, so I was think that it was either stressed from the move or ready to molt. It seems pretty sluggish for the most part and hasnt created any webbing.

I posted a pic of it >>HERE<<

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
to the new guy,

i wouldnt worry. both of my avics were off feed for a little over a month before they molted. my 4 inch webbed like crazy my little 1 inch didnt web at all i looked in one day and saw a beautiful new exo on her and the old skin on the floor in her enclosure. the 1 inch avic didnt eat until 10 days after her molt which was about 8 weeks since i brought her home. i am pretty sure she was premolt at petco.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well my smothi just layed down some webbing and its too bad im gonna miss the molt ill send u some pics after its over.
mike