Nematode infections

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
All this talk about Nematode infections has had me thinking about what the possible causes were. While some, like myself, have been keeping T's for many years and have never had one, others have reported multiple T's with this infection. So, I thought trying to narrow down the conditions the T's are kept in we could possibly find the culprit. I always thought it was keeping unclean water dishes, but I'm not too sure.

Those that have had the infections please list how you were keeping them and what you think the possible causes may have been.

This is how I've have been keeping mine:

Water Dish: Changed out regularly and washed with soap and water. Once a month I disenfect all dishes in a mild solution of chlorine (5%/water).

Substrate: Straight peat moss for all of them except my burrowers are kept on a 50/50 mix of peat and topsoil. Substrate is changed out about every 6 months and is kept mostly dry except for my T. blondi's. Food remains are picked up about once a week in the drier cages, every day in the moist ones.

Food: Staple diet is crickets which I keep rather clean and in a very dry cage. Larger T's are fed mice and occasional anoles. All food items are purchased at local pet store and I never feed wild caught prey because of the worry of pesticides.

I don't know if this could help, but I know that I would be very upset to see one of my prized adults die to this infection. Especially not knowing the cause.

And of course this will only be effective if we're honest/accurate about how we keep our T's.

If anyone thinks this is a complete waste of time don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,
Jim B.

Last edited: