Raising mealworms, got a few questions.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yo, hows it going. I decided to mix up my inverts food by raising another feeder: MEALWORMS!!

I recently bought bout 120 giant mealworms (regular, not super) and was wondering how long it takes them to turn into full fledged beetles after reaching their chrysalis(sp?) state?

also, after that, how long till they mate off and deposit eggs?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you bought the ones labeled "Giant Mealworms" they have probably been treated with a hormone to make them grow larger than normal........I don't think they will pupate or turn into breedable beetles.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/cmeal.htm

Mealworms are the larvae of the beetle Tenebrio molitor. During their life cycle these beetles undergo complete metamorphosis: egg, pupa, and adult. Times required for each stage under average conditions are listed below.

Egg.......4 weeks
Larva....10 weeks
Pupa......3 weeks
Adult.....4 weeks
There's the info you requested I was too lazy to look through my "favorites" earlier.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I tried to get a colony of Giant Mealworms going...Ive been successful with Supers and regular mealies so why not Giant...well they had problems pupating..theyd be all deformed..or if they did successfully pupate theyd have problems shedding into beetles.I tried increasing the humidity...decreasing the humidity, feeding different things..nothing worked....UGH I got 3-4 NORMAL ones and gave up. Fed the rest to the Robins.
If you figure it out....LET ME KNOW!!! (and they said Superworms were hard...theyre a peice of cake compareded to the Giants)
Michelle

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
http://www.nyworms.com

Giant Mealworms are merely the "common mealworm" that has been treated with an insect growth regulating hormone to discourage them from morphing into beetles, thus they grow significantly larger. Some will morph into beetles, however they are sterile. This growth hormone was developed for fly control in dairy and horse farms. While this treatment would not adversely affect those being used for fishing, it is strongly recommended that they should not be used as a live food source.
I've seen similar statements on other web sites and posts in the past. The NY worms was just the first one I pulled up in a search.