Inner Sanctum

Windycity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started collecting in May of this year and my first and second wave of purchases were little sub micron sized slings. You could put my whole collection in a shoe box and still have room for the shoes. I keep my little collection in my basement where, even in the Chicago summers, stays pretty cool and dry. So, I ended up using what I call the “double boiler” method to keep them warm and moist – all the little sling vials are kept in a larger Tupperware box and the larger box is gently heated with an old electric blanket. Well that worked until recently. I have since purchased a few juv’s and the little slings I started out with are now getting fairly large. It was either locate a Tupperware trunk!! and keep on trucking or find another solution.

The “other solution” won out and I spent a few weekends building my own little tarantula room in an unused corner of my basement. It’s interior dimensions are 4’ x 8’ and there is room for plenty of shelves for the T’s and a little desk at one end for working and photographing. The walls and ceiling are fully insulated and caulked so the little ceramic heater I bought runs about 5 minutes an hour to keep the temp at a steady 76 degrees. There’s a desk light, two receptacles, switchable overhead light and switchable pair of 50 watt red spots so I can sneak up on my reclusive Cyriopagopus schioedtei on occasion. I did all the work myself so the only cost was materials which ran about $220, not including the heater, for your information if any one else if feeling a similar itch.

It’s a nice little place to sit and work and is now my domestic inner sanctum, completed just ahead of Jack Frost’s arrival.

Attachments

Last edited:

Windycity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice work Feexit. I guess it’s obvious who the better carpenter is <grin>.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Man... That's awesome. It's highly inspiring, I just don't have the room to do ti (I still live at home with the soddin 'rents :/)

I remember a similar room we had at my old house when my dad was with us, thoguh the main content was of a reptillian base :/

For the time being, my bugs remain in my bedroom! I'll take some pics once I've sorted out my chameleon stuff... (See watering hole if you're confused and interested) as his tank was part of my setup.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
WAY COOL!! Betcha you outgrow it within one year~;) Any takers?

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice room hope to build one of these in my own house some day.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Originally posted by Windycity
Nice work Feexit. I guess it’s obvious who the better carpenter is <grin>.

Nah...you built a room, I just put up some shelves.:)