male or female? help ^^

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't really tell from the photo, but if there is any kind of flap between the forward set of booklungs, it is a female. If the area is smooth, it is a male. Sometimes you need to run a brush or something over it to make sure the flap isn't just stuck down.

It looks like that may be a decent sized specimen, so it should be easy to tell. I can't make out any flap, so my opinion would be male. I would then turn it over and try to identify the tell-tale hairs (epiandrous fusillae) on the outside indicating male as well. The more you do this, the better you will get at identifying them.

Botar

Last edited:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It looks kind of bulging for a male. Do you have an overhead shot? I think there may be a flap hiding in there somewhere.

And like Botar said flipping it over and getting a look at the epiandrous fusillae will also work. A dark and/or dense patch of hair just above the furrow.

Jim B.

Last edited:

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If seen enough of these recently.
Looks like a male to me from the pic. May be able to tell something from a better shot, but, still looks like a male.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
'Tis a male, m'dear.

I've left all my male exuviums in the lab at college, else I'd photo them for you to show you some comparisons. I'll get some up tomorow night though :)

Don't be fooled by a small lip; it's not the epigastric furrow we're looking for, it's the actaul internal spermathacae.

Has it matured? As a guess, based entirely on that one photo, I'd say it has, or is awfully near. The properties of the patch (just 'above' the furrow) and the proprtions of the interns suggest so, from the exuviums in my posession.

This is working backwards, but look atthe underside of the moult. what's that look like? Is it similar in construction to this: (pic of immature male Nhandu coloratovillosum, mature male Brachypelma albopilosum and immature male Ephebopus murinus)

Hope that helps :cool:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I still think it's a possible female. You can't go by the spermatheca because they can easily be folded up in there (it's happened to me many times) and can easily be missed.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13234&highlight=molt+sexing

And the angle makes it twice as hard to get a good look at it.

She did not say what the species was, but I think it may be a T. blondi. And compared to my mature male the furrow extends much further inward. This one is very flat.

Jim B.

Shown at the same angle:

Attachments

Last edited: